Engine Oil Usage???

bdm1981

Reaction score
I just did my normal maintenance draining the water separator and went to check the engine oil and it was almost a quart low. Was showing oil up to the bottom of the hatch marks on the oil dipstick. I have drove the truck off and on during the day so I know that its not quiet accurate since I should check it when its cold. Truck has 9200 miles on it and I change the oil every 5000 miles. Truck is just a daily driver so I haven't really towed anything with it and I don't run the crap out of it. I also run Mobil 1 5w40 synthetic oil in it. Just want some input from some of you guys to see if its normal. Thanks!

dsmracing1

Reaction score
I find that my truck will burn up around the same by the time I'm ready for another 7500 mile oil change. Not sure if it's from idling, towing or just being a diesel. All of our equipment does the same too so I'm fairly certain its a diesel being a diesel...

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

Reaction score
I'd say turbo before anything with the motor. . I had a 2011 come in because he was losing oil. Turbo was fine, but when he stomped on the gas from a stop, oil would come dripping out of the exhaust. Pulled the turbo and down pipe was full of oil. Weird thing was that it never had any turbo noise, or any white smoke

UNBROKEN

Reaction score
Any combustion engine will consume some oil. The CCV isn't full of oil for nothing.

WhiteMamba_Scorpion

Reaction score
With zero gap rings I don't have any oil coming out of my ccv. But I have seen some fleet 6.7s use a little oil between oil changes and they were fine. Just something to check every so often for typical maintenance.

Sent from a jobsite porta ****ter

Layson

Reaction score
Shouldn't be low on oil. A friends old dynasaur truck with 360k on it still doesn't burn a quart of oil in that many miles. Thinking turbo...

Latest posts

Members online