Engine stop leak oil additive, cause problems.

taterthedog

Reaction score
This guy at works asks me about his 2000 7.3 today. He says since he changed the oil ( delvac 15w40 I think he said), his truck starts running rough, white smoke, and dies when warm. He says he uses this oil in his 6.0 and 7.3 and hasn't had a problem before. Only difference this time was he added some "stop leak" to the oil hoping his rear main would stop weeping. Anyone ever see this stuff cause trouble? It's at the dealer now and they have ordered a EBP sensor and tube because it's plugged. Tech there has very little experience on 7.3s, mostly worked on 6.0 and newer. I tried telling him how important the oil quality is in these things but it's a tough battle.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

rentstdi

Reaction score
Stop leak is never a good thing to use. Just fix the problem.

The stop leak probably filled the tiny holes in the injectors... Lol

mandkole

Reaction score
The thing now is that many dealer techs working on 7.3s today don't work on them enough to get real good with them.

Dying with hot oil is classic of HPO issues. Look at IPR orings, injector orings, etc and make sure the HPO system is sealed. The oil is likely coming from the valley through the drain hole.

taterthedog

Reaction score
Pretty much what I told him. I don't know what that stop leak stuff does exactly. I tried to read up a bit on it and it seems it mostly conditions the seals. I don't know what kind he used. Maybe that crap has nothing to do with his issue at all. It sounded like a HPO issue to me too.

ja_cain

Reaction score
Pretty much what I told him. I don't know what that stop leak stuff does exactly. I tried to read up a bit on it and it seems it mostly conditions the seals. I don't know what kind he used. Maybe that crap has nothing to do with his issue at all. It sounded like a HPO issue to me too.

Probably diffuses into/penetrates the seal causing it to swell.

Latest posts

Members online

No members online now.