Everyones thoughts on Spartan Tunes??

Dzlnut

Reaction score
What you guys thoughts on spartan tuning? I did some trading for a Spartan tuner that needs a license (599.00). I have punch it performance sct now, I'm not very happy with the tunes and custom tunes cannot be loaded onto my sct. The 96hp tune I run everyday has too much low end smoke for my liking and lower hp tunes get crappy milage. For 599 I can get a bunch of tunes on the spartan.

Thoughts??

In a perfect world I would have a H & S or custom sct Innovative or Gearhead tunes .

drunk on diesel

Reaction score
You can keep buying less expensive stuff or you can just bite the bullet and get what you really want...

6fourstroker

Reaction score
What you guys thoughts on spartan tuning? I did some trading for a Spartan tuner that needs a license (599.00). I have punch it performance sct now, I'm not very happy with the tunes and custom tunes cannot be loaded onto my sct. The 96hp tune I run everyday has too much low end smoke for my liking and lower hp tunes get crappy milage. For 599 I can get a bunch of tunes on the spartan.

Thoughts??

In a perfect world I would have a H & S or custom sct Innovative or Gearhead tunes .

I just installed a Spartan Phalanx and dpf/cat delete on my reg cab and love it so far. They recommended I run the 210hp tune and WOW.

All I can say so far. It's dark here so I couldnt tell how much smoke it was putting out but I got into town and it didn't look like much.

Spartan has my vote.

drunk on diesel

Reaction score
I just installed a Spartan Phalanx and dpf/cat delete on my reg cab and love it so far. They recommended I run the 210hp tune and WOW.

All I can say so far. It's dark here so I couldnt tell how much smoke it was putting out but I got into town and it didn't look like much.

Spartan has my vote.

have you tried anything else other than Spartan?

6fourstroker

Reaction score
have you tried anything else other than Spartan?

Nope. First diesel truck, first diesel tuner. I leaned real hard toward the H&s mini maxx race but it's user interface is what steered me away. I like the bigger screen on the nDash. I like to know what my engine is doing so showing the most gauges possible is a must. H&s can only see 4 on screen. Ndash has multiple different gauge layouts showing from 4 to I think 12.

Powerstroke Man 6.4

Reaction score
I got Spartan on my F-350 DRW I also got a X4 with PIP tunes for my F-250 to me the spartan tunes are a bit better but comparing to a H&S minimaxx W/ Matt (Gearhead) MCC tunes Matt tunes are light years ahead of Spartan and PIP. You can actually run matt's "performance" 550+ RWHP tune as a DD tune (low egts great mpg) (no throttle jerk) which is great paired with his Hybrid or reg TCM tune all I can say is wow. Try run the spartan 310 or even the 300 , 275 as a DD tune LOL you cant even go 5 min down the road before you start to "buck" because of the throttle sensitivity of the higher spartan tunes. MCC has way more control of the truck then SCT software so that could explain why MCC tunes are way more refined then pip etc

Spartan and PIP tunes are a good "out of the box" tunes/tuners but neither spartan or the non offroad sct's other custom tuning option's which is a big downside.

I would love if they opened up the dashdaq platform to more tuners.

Cknox121

Reaction score
Nope. First diesel truck, first diesel tuner. I leaned real hard toward the H&s mini maxx race but it's user interface is what steered me away. I like the bigger screen on the nDash. I like to know what my engine is doing so showing the most gauges possible is a must. H&s can only see 4 on screen. Ndash has multiple different gauge layouts showing from 4 to I think 12.

Gauges make you paranoid....

Sent from my cracked iPhone using Tapatalk

drunk on diesel

Reaction score

I like running tunes that don't make me worry about staring at a million gauges all the time.

6fourstroker

Reaction score
Gauges make you paranoid....

Sent from my cracked iPhone using Tapatalk

Ha I was paranoid before the gauges. But I get what you're saying.

I like running tunes that don't make me worry about staring at a million gauges all the time.

It's not the tunes that make me want to see gauges. I just like to know what's going on. That's all.

08Monster

Reaction score
My Spartan tunes run STRONG. But smokey. The 310 tune on 37s with stock gearing can black out a city block. I don't live near a city so I'll say town block. Haha

drunk on diesel

Reaction score
point is, you can run an Edge or similar monitor with ANY tunes... That will satisfy your need to watch parameters.

But the engine/trans don't care how fancy of a display you're using, they care about what tunes your running.

Radioflyer

Reaction score
point is, you can run an Edge or similar monitor with ANY tunes... That will satisfy your need to watch parameters.

But the engine/trans don't care how fancy of a display you're using, they care about what tunes your running.

This^

I run an xrt and a cts insight. Show's me all the parameters I want to see, EBP; rail pressure, timing, etc.

OP: I got your back Steve! You'll be hearing from me in the next couple day's. :toast:

Dzlnut

Reaction score
This^

I run an xrt and a cts insight. Show's me all the parameters I want to see, EBP; rail pressure, timing, etc.

OP: I got your back Steve! You'll be hearing from me in the next couple day's. :toast:

Thanks Cody!

I am running a cts for gauges as well.

BigBluediesel08

Reaction score

So is what you're saying is Spartan tuning can harm engine/trans?? If so, I really need to find me some gearhead tunes soon.

01pwrstkr

Reaction score
So is what you're saying is Spartan tuning can harm engine/trans?? If so, I really need to find me some gearhead tunes soon.
I don't know if they will harm engine/trans but a buddy of mine has of 09 or 10 f350 dually and he had spartan do one of their delete packages on it. It runs strong but the transmission shifting is harsh! Normal driving around town feels like you're being rear ended when it shifts.

"3 can keep a secret if 2 are dead"

Powerstroke Man 6.4

Reaction score
I don't know if they will harm engine/trans but a buddy of mine has of 09 or 10 f350 dually and he had spartan do one of their delete packages on it. It runs strong but the transmission shifting is harsh! Normal driving around town feels like you're being rear ended when it shifts.

"3 can keep a secret if 2 are dead"

Same here I got a F-350 CCSB dually w/ 4.30's with spartan tunes. Feels your riding a bull all day LOL

drunk on diesel

Reaction score
You can damage a 6.4 with pretty much any tuning! LOL

I just like having something that can actually be custom tuned. See if Spartan will modify that 310 tune so that it doesn't barrel out black smoke.

Spartan is better than stock obviously, but you already don't like your PIP tunes and you can't get custom tunes for your unit... how much did it cost you? $700 or so? if you spend $600 on the Spartan and don't like the tunes, guess what? you can't get custom tunes for it either.

Now you're $1300 out of pocket and still don't have what you want.

I could put you in a brand new XRT PRO AND an MCC code for $1300...

I'm all for saving money, but sometimes it's best to just bite the bullet and buy the hotness the first go-round if you're just going to end up there in the long run :eek:

Powerstroke Man 6.4

Reaction score
You can damage a 6.4 with pretty much any tuning! LOL

I just like having something that can actually be custom tuned. See if Spartan will modify that 310 tune so that it doesn't barrel out black smoke.

Spartan is better than stock obviously, but you already don't like your PIP tunes and you can't get custom tunes for your unit... how much did it cost you? $700 or so? if you spend $600 on the Spartan and don't like the tunes, guess what? you can't get custom tunes for it either.

Now you're $1300 out of pocket and still don't have what you want.

I could put you in a brand new XRT PRO AND an MCC code for $1300...

I'm all for saving money, but sometimes it's best to just bite the bullet and buy the hotness the first go-round if you're just going to end up there in the long run :eek:

WHS^ IDK if spartan will even modify the tunes to have a less sensitive throttle LOL.

Latest posts

Members online