exceptionally thick oil what do I do?

gman1

Reaction score
What is done to the trucks and what are they used for on the ones that made it to 200k? I have seriously never met anyone with a 6.4 that made it past 150k on the original motor....

IMO they would of had to have had been deleted well before 100k.

100k is basically a tune up with rockers in a stock truck.

Any 6.4 with over 150k is either on its second motor, 3rd fuel system, or 2nd set of turbos
I have a bone stock one with 288,000 on it. Never been back to Ford.

78f100

Reaction score
I put a injector in one last week with 180k on it. Customer bought it new and said the engine had never been went in until I installed the injector. Dpf still intact, bone stock 09 king ranch.
My brothers truck has 160ish on it, tuned at 130ish and beat pretty hard. We put a new trans in it last month, other than that its all original as far as we know.
I agree that 200k is not seen on 6.4s without issue as often as it is on other platforms but there are plenty of them out there that have held up well.

Jbird

Reaction score
Reminds me of this ImageUploadedByTapatalk1422341018.698620.jpg

Powerstroke Man 6.4

Reaction score
What is done to the trucks and what are they used for on the ones that made it to 200k? I have seriously never met anyone with a 6.4 that made it past 150k on the original motor....

read below.

It will be worth it when you get it tuned and all squared away. 6.4s are amazing power wise and tough, they have some issues but everything does. Where else are you gonna get 600hp with a tuner and exhaust? I have several customers with 200k plus miles without any issues so its hit and miss. Front covers and bad injectors cause most of the issues I see.

WHS^

I got a 6.4 with 270K it has its original engine. No major problems other than a front cover that was replace by ford at 160K and I replaced the turbos because the vgt was leaking oil. The truck was always serviced at a ford dealer and it has a clean oasis.

6.4's are tough engines but they just had to be the ones with "more" problems than other engines.

Last edited:

Cknox121

Reaction score
My opinion is that they can be tune to the point of destruction with canned tuners. Honestly, what other brand of truck can you put a tuner on an be close to 600hp? (that is up until 2010). Others, like myself, owning their first diesel run them hard on a 300+ file, and are unaware of the consequences of doing such. In a low tuned (stock or tow) fully deleted 6.4 I wouldn't doubt it could make it over 200 miles with a regular and correct maintenance plan. For granted there will be bad apples...plus forums are where the problems surface IMO. How many "older gentlemen" owned vehicles do we not hear about that are chugging right along? Hind site is 20/20. In all honesty I wish I would have just put a tow tune, full deleted, and then put the tuner in the closet and left the truck alone...but what fun is that?lol

Latest posts

Members online