Excessive black exhaust

heavydoc

Reaction score
I bought a 2002 with 7.3 from a Dodge stealership in Spearfish SD. Stealership claimed they had a local diesel shop diagnoise engine issues and said it needed new injectors. I was told they had them put all new injectors and glowplugs. I asked why they didnt do they work inhouse and was told they dont work on Forg engines. Bought the truck for 9500 and drove it home. On the trip home about 200 miles it would blow black smoke a little more than I would have liked on hard acceleration but otherwise was fine. I fixxed the uppipe exhaust leaks with the bellows replacement. used the truck to pull my 10,000 5th wheel to NC where I now live. During the trip the truck started having troubles pulling hills, by the 3rd day of driving I could only pull in first gear and really rolls the black exhaust. Hooked AE up and did a road test without trailer and engine loaded up more and had a loss of power compared to my OBS. no codes but throws an inbalance of #5 and #8 cylinders. I am running the 6637 from Riff Raff and that is the only update to this point. Im begining to wonder if injectors were actually replaced. I had asked the salesman for the repair paperwork and was told he did not have access to it, which also tells me injectors probably were not replaced. IPR reads at 36.33% when it is smoking, otherwise reads 12 to 19%. Any thought or suggestions would be appreciated. Getting ready to pull a couple of injectors in the next few weeks when time allows.

Last edited:

heavydoc

Reaction score
I replaced uppipes, engine oil and filter, fuel filter, and installed Riff Raff 6637 air filter kit before my trip to NC. Check engine light would come on for about 5 minutes then disappear. code showed IPR was out of desired range, or something to that effect. I don't remember the exact wording. If it comes up again I will post exact code and wording. Sorry.

Vader's Fury

Reaction score
Check your intercooler tubes and intake y to see if anything is leaking. Sound s like you might have a boost leak.

Not saying you don't have Inj issues but I would check for a leak first. Also check fuel pressure.

Do you have a chip or stock programming?

heavydoc

Reaction score
Check your intercooler tubes and intake y to see if anything is leaking. Sound s like you might have a boost leak.

Not saying you don't have Inj issues but I would check for a leak first. Also check fuel pressure.

Do you have a chip or stock programming?
Haven't thought about that but I will try to check this afternoon. I rebuilt the turbo with a Riff Raff kit and wheel when I did the uppipes.

Sent from my SM-N920V using Tapatalk

DEEZUZ

NO PUKESTERS
Reaction score
I dont ever see injectors throwing black smoke though, if anything, a blueish/white or a dark grey. Black to me means we are not getting the air in to the engine. I would inspect the map hose and possibly change the map sensor, maybe ebp tube and sensor

can you read ebp, map, baro pids?

DEEZUZ

NO PUKESTERS
Reaction score
koeo see what all those pids read. then half throttle and full throttle. do you happen to have a mity vac in which you can put psi to the map sensor to see if fueling changes, to dio the sensor?

heavydoc

Reaction score
koeo see what all those pids read. then half throttle and full throttle. do you happen to have a mity vac in which you can put psi to the map sensor to see if fueling changes, to dio the sensor?
I do have a mighty vac in my box at work, I will bring it home tomorrow and check all thank you.

heavydoc

Reaction score
EBP is 15.9 psi w/1.06 vdc.
MAP is 13.0 psi and
BAR is 148 psi w/ 4.13 vdc.
All with koeo and don't change with koer @ idle. I think I see a problem. Where is the Barometric pressure sensor located.

heavydoc

Reaction score
I didn't think so I saw that a few weeks ago but I thought it was a programming error like the engine oil temp on the obs trucks.

heavydoc

Reaction score
I believe I found the harness plug for the BARO sensor under the steering column but the sensor is MIA if I'm looking at the right plug. Is it a 4 pin round plug with 3 wires.

DEEZUZ

NO PUKESTERS
Reaction score
IIRC baro is somewhere in the dash behind the radio. I've never had an issue with one, so I cannot provide accurate information

ghohouston

Reaction score
Ive never had an issue with a baro sensor on any powerstroke, but have read on several forums about them. I am almost positive i read somewhere on super duty trucks the baro sensor is part of the pcm. I also seem to remember it is under the dash on obs trucks. Maybe google it?

Latest posts

Members online