Exhaust Brake Tune 2011-14 Trucks

dsmracing1

Reaction score
Hey All,

I am curious if anybody has gotten someone to write them a tune that can allow them to use the tow haul button to create an exhaust brake with the veins of the turbo? For those that have, does it work well or is it not as good as you expected? I'm debating on doing this or just getting a BD exhaust brake kit for the old Ferd.

Cheers, Cam

Radioflyer

Reaction score
you can't make it do it with just a tow-haul button though

X2^

It just makes it seem like it only engages in tow haul because during deceleration in tow haul the truck keeps the converter locked longer which keeps rpm up and the tune is set to where the vanes go to 100% (or close to) during deceleration under load. We do the same thing on our Duramax's tow tunes.

dsmracing1

Reaction score
you can't make it do it with just a tow-haul button though

Could you explain a little more of possible? Just wondering if it's worth my time to do it with tuning or just suck it up and get the Proper kit from BD. It's a work truck and I would really like it to function properly and practically. I don't overly want the exhaust brake to be on all the time when I let off the skinny pedal. Would like to have it where I can disable and enable via tow haul button or something along those lines...

Radioflyer

Reaction score
Could you explain a little more of possible? Just wondering if it's worth my time to do it with tuning or just suck it up and get the Proper kit from BD. It's a work truck and I would really like it to function properly and practically. I don't overly want the exhaust brake to be on all the time when I let off the skinny pedal. Would like to have it where I can disable and enable via tow haul button or something along those lines...

Like said above, that's not possible. The change in vanes will happen every time you let off the throttle because there is no way of controlling it through the tow haul button. The tow haul button is for the TCM and changes shift points and what not, where as turbo vanes are controlled through the ECM. Two separate parts of the truck you are wanting to control together but not possible. If you are wanting a stand alone Exhaust brake that you can turn on and off when ever you want, then I'd suggest the BD brake setup.

Last edited:

dsmracing1

Reaction score
Like said above, that's not possible. The change in vanes will happen every time you let off the throttle because there is no way of controlling it through the tow haul button. The tow haul button is for the TCM and changes shift points and what not, where as turbo vanes are controlled through the ECM. Two separate parts of the truck you are wanting to control together but not possible. If you are wanting a stand alone Exhaust brake that you can turn on and off when ever you want, then I'd suggest the BD brake setup.

Thanks for the input Cody! I guess I will be getting an early Christmas present this year with the BD exhaust brake haha. Towing without an exhaust brake gets old after a while. It's the ONLY thing I miss about the Dodge I got rid of for the Ford....

Radioflyer

Reaction score
Thanks for the input Cody! I guess I will be getting an early Christmas present this year with the BD exhaust brake haha. Towing without an exhaust brake gets old after a while. It's the ONLY thing I miss about the Dodge I got rid of for the Ford....

They do come handy! We have guy's that add both a pac brake system along with the turbo braking feature in the tuning. It's pretty crazy how quick they stop. LOL

TyCorr

Reaction score
X2^

It just makes it seem like it only engages in tow haul because during deceleration in tow haul the truck keeps the converter locked longer which keeps rpm up and the tune is set to where the vanes go to 100% (or close to) during deceleration under load. We do the same thing on our Duramax's tow tunes.

Older duramaxes? The 11 up dont need any refinement. I had an 11, 12, and a 14 and it worked flawlessly on all three.

TyCorr

Reaction score
The duramax engine braking is dependent on brake pedal input. Push the brakes and it starts downshifting, closing turbo vanes, and stopping.

As Cody said trans plays a big role in it by locking up and holding rpms longer.

As for using the exh brake empty, no comment.

dsmracing1

Reaction score
The duramax engine braking is dependent on brake pedal input. Push the brakes and it starts downshifting, closing turbo vanes, and stopping.

As Cody said trans plays a big role in it by locking up and holding rpms longer.

Haha I mean towing with an empty trailer. With the dodge on icy roads I've almost created a jack knife situation going down a hill with a 40ft gooseneck. Puckered me up a bit with how strong the dodge exhaust brakes can be...

TyCorr

Reaction score
I recall that too. But the newest dodge ive used is a 08. My dad has a 3500 drw 2015 but Ive only seen it twice. He parks it at a shop 20miles from the house and it stays hooked up to a 36' gn. He got it in June or July when his 15 ford 6.7 blew up. Ford had way over 100k on it in about a year. The ram has a shtiload I bet too. With harvest season its on the road 24/7.

Dad is loving the ram. He and mom have been single dealer Ford customers for 35 years. The dealer pissed them both off last year, and this year dad got a ram and mom got a chevy traverse.

dsmracing1

Reaction score
I recall that too. But the newest dodge ive used is a 08. My dad has a 3500 drw 2015 but Ive only seen it twice. He parks it at a shop 20miles from the house and it stays hooked up to a 36' gn. He got it in June or July when his 15 ford 6.7 blew up. Ford had way over 100k on it in about a year. The ram has a shtiload I bet too. With harvest season its on the road 24/7.

Dad is loving the ram. He and mom have been single dealer Ford customers for 35 years. The dealer pissed them both off last year, and this year dad got a ram and mom got a chevy traverse.

Haha good times...

Radioflyer

Reaction score

Agreed LOL

Damn hey! Gotta watch that in the winter time, lock the rear end right up if your empty lol

Agreed, miss-use of the exhaust brake on certain road conditions could result in...well...you get the point.

Older duramaxes? The 11 up dont need any refinement. I had an 11, 12, and a 14 and it worked flawlessly on all three.

No not on older Dmax's since they have a fixed vane charger. I should say 04.5-10's is where we tune in the turbo brake.

TyCorr

Reaction score
By older I meant lbz-10. Id think anybody with a lb7 or lly that dedicated to a first class tow mule would have shot themselves in the head AND foot by now LOL

Radioflyer

Reaction score
By older I meant lbz-10. Id think anybody with a lb7 or lly that dedicated to a first class tow mule would have shot themselves in the head AND foot by now LOL

You'd be surprised, they're still out there and guy's still love them LOL

TyCorr

Reaction score
I had an lly...it was everything but that for me. The lbz was good but ill just say i didnt really gave respect for the gm trucks until the 12 I had. My 2011 was a gddmed nightmare!! POS!

My 12 was good until the turbo, hpfp, and trans were going out at 125k. I replaced with a 14 that I only drove from July until February of this year. Sold it with 46k on it. I wrack up miles FAST!

Radioflyer

Reaction score
I had an lly...it was everything but that for me. The lbz was good but ill just say i didnt really gave respect for the gm trucks until the 12 I had. My 2011 was a gddmed nightmare!! POS!

My 12 was good until the turbo, hpfp, and trans were going out at 125k. I replaced with a 14 that I only drove from July until February of this year. Sold it with 46k on it. I wrack up miles FAST!

Damn i'll say!! LOL

drunk on diesel

Reaction score

I've actually figured out a way to do it :)

just have to try it now! waiting to borrow a buddy's truck (or just buy a damn 6.7 myself... I'm having hell finding what I want :( )

Latest posts

Members online

No members online now.