Exhaust Manifold question

DieselJpower

Reaction score
Replacing the driver side manifold, is there a specific sequence I need to torque the bolts ?? I know it calls for 45 ft lbs.

Thanks in advance

501 96 7.3

Reaction score
I put a felpro gasket in and torqued mine from the inside out and no problems in 30k miles. I replaced mine due to a broken bolt. Hope this helps.

Magnum PD

Reaction score
I would do steps up with torque. Not loose and tighten all the way to torque spec.

DieselJpower

Reaction score
Thanks, Ya got felpro's and new bolts and had it resurfaced today. Took the manifold off my pmr motor this morning, came off real easy. I'm just praying that the one on the truck is just as easy to remove..

DieselJpower

Reaction score
Good advice to use the gaskets and tighten from the inside out in increments. I would also use some anti-seize too.

https://www.amazon.com/Permatex-77124-Nickel-Anti-Seize-Lubricant/dp/B0002UENJ2

Advance only had the 1600° stuff , so hopefully it'll hold up.

Got done about half hour ago and all went smooth, didn't even take the tire or wheel well off.

Now what do yall say about a retorque after some heat cycles , is it necessary ?

501 96 Did you ever re torque the bolts ?

Also do I need to take it easy for a lil while like you would with a head gasket ?

Magnum PD

Reaction score
Using gaskets I would try to see they will tighten after getting hot

DieselJpower

Reaction score
FYI: The exhaust manifold bolts are special bolts. They are designed not to loosen.

Billy T.
[email protected]

I had the mother in law stop by a ford dealer on her way in yesterday to grab them. She was being her normal cheap self saying "you couldn't just get these at the hardware store ? These look like normal bolts , but they're $3 bucks a piece that's crazy"

Very good to know , I appreciate that. And it makes perfect sense why they were pretty snug fit.:thumbup:

DieselJpower

Reaction score
Glad to see it went smooth for you. Wish my mother in law was that nice.

Hey now I didn't say she was nice. At first she said "give me the part #s and I'll stop by the dealer". That quickly turned in to "you pay over the phone and I'll pick it up"

I have the grand babies as leverage though to negotiate. She got foul with me back in the day and I told her she'd never see the boys again. Since them she's been a lot more friendly.

Any progress on the excursion conversion ?

juniort444e

Reaction score
Hey now I didn't say she was nice. At first she said "give me the part #s and I'll stop by the dealer". That quickly turned in to "you pay over the phone and I'll pick it up"

I have the grand babies as leverage though to negotiate. She got foul with me back in the day and I told her she'd never see the boys again. Since them she's been a lot more friendly.

Any progress on the excursion conversion ?

I do that same thing to mine. The excursion has not been touched, need to sell the rest of the performance parts, and the truck first before i can touch the excursion, wifes orders. Plus thatll be a really slow project due to our new addition in October as well.

Latest posts

Members online