External oil cooler setup, LPOP slow to build pressure now got a few questions??

ford rules

Reaction score
Hey guys,
So I just finished up my MPD oil cooler relocation plate install.

For the setup I am running -10 lines a FL1995 7.3L oil filter with a moroso base and a fluidyne cooler, no thermostat or anything. For oil I run 5w40 Rotella T6.

I also installed a dieselsite HPODS at the same time.

So I finished it up last night and went for a drive and all seamed fine, on first start it took a while to build LPO. Didnt think much of it since it had to fill the cooler/lines ETC...

When I started it this morning it took a while for it to build LPO after it started, outside temps were around 40-45 F. It took it long enough to not build LPO to set the check guage off on the info display.

So basically im concerned its running to long without LPO, im going to order a oil psi guage this week just to verify what actual oil psi is on startup.

Would a thermostat fix this issue, I was thinking maybe checkvalves to hold backpressure on the pump after its shutoff?

Any help is appreciated!!!

ford rules

Reaction score
Driven it around a bit, runs fine. It just takes a few seconds to pick up lpo. My fuelab pump died and that is my miss at idle, I believe atleast gotta look into it more.

windrunner408

Reaction score
What fluidyne cooler do you have??

A thermostat will solve this issue more than likely.

Also, I would not use a 7.3L filter.... They do not have an anti-drainback feature which will cause your LPOP to have to re-prime itself everytime you start the truck.

ford rules

Reaction score
Using a db 30618 fluiydine cooler, and the 7.3 filter. Greg at mpd recommended to use these. I was told the thermostat would not solve the issue.
What filter and head would you recommend?

windrunner408

Reaction score
Ok, you're good on the cooler. Unless they've changed things, the FL1995 filter did not come with an anti-drainback feature and this is why BPD did not use them in their kits.

The thermostat will most definitely help your low/slow oil pressure build up issue as it allows the oil to bypass the cooler very easily to help warm the oil up. The thing to check with your kit is the pressure drop across the kit at full temp and 3600 rpms. It is suppose to have about a 25 psid or less across the filter and cooler assembly as this is what the OEM system was designed for.

I use the BPD filter (Carquest 85832) and BPD filter head. I've built four different kits and finally say "F@KK it" and laid it out like BPD does so I could get the pressure deltas right and ensure I wasn't starving stuff for oil.

ford rules

Reaction score
So what thermostat would you recommend, will bpd sell just the filter base seperate do you know?

ford rules

Reaction score
No other input on this, seams like MPD sold a lot of these plates. I know I can't be the only one having issues.

I'm ready to just say *** it and buy a factory cooler and throw it back on and scrap the external setup.

Pizza pig

In the Brig (Banned)
Reaction score
Its because of the lack of anti-drain back,a a check valve will get rid of that. Its not that you're running around on low oil pressure. Ive seen pressure switches go back just by removing and reinstalling as well.

ford rules

Reaction score
What specs do i need to buy a check valve? Ive prollay got one at work but i cant find any specs on the oil system.
I know it has oil pressure it just takes a minute to pick it up.

Would i need a check valve on the inlet and outlet or just the outlet?

windrunner408

Reaction score
So what thermostat would you recommend, will bpd sell just the filter base seperate do you know?

I used a Canton Racing oil thermostat but a Mocal will work just fine too. Yes BPD will sell their stuff separate. Just gotta call them.

ford rules

Reaction score
Went ahead and ordered a check valve from summit, hopefully ill get that on friday night and see how it does.

ford rules

Reaction score
Well put a checkvalve on the outlet of the pump, drove it around for about an hr. Gonna let it sit a few hrs and see what happens.

ford rules

Reaction score
Well the check valve on the outlet side of the plate didnt change anything.

I still havent got a chance to put a manual gauge on the truck but im fairly positive that it will do the same thing the dash guage does.

Letting the truck sit over night and the guage takes forever to come back up, once its been running and you shut it off and let it sit a few minutes then restart it jumps back up like normal. That tells me its a drainback issue and not a sensor issue.

If anyone wants any parts of the oil cooler setup let me know as im going to be going back to the factory setup.

Zmann

Reaction score
why would it need a check valve or anti drain back unless it is situated in a position to drain back ?

good luck on this II bet it's frustrating

ford rules

Reaction score
I really couldn't tell you why it would need a check valve. The guys at mpd said they've never seen this issue before, I don't see how that can be unless they are running something other than they recommended.

I would like to try the bpd oil filter and base but I don't feel like spending anymore on the setup than I already have.

I'm gonna throw a manual gauge on it this week just to verify the factory oil switch isn't the issue.

Latest posts

Members online