Extra backup/work lights

chadmack

Reaction score
Hey all.. Like it says I'm wanting to mount a couple of extra lights to my rear bumper. Very dark on my block and the tail lens cover has a light tint so it's very hard to see backing up. I don't have upfitters. I just want to add a lighted toggle to my dash. But not sure how to go about the wiring. I don't want to tap into reverse wire or trailer wire at all. I just want to be able to turn them on when I want to. I'm basically self taught with electrical and it's not too much of an education lol.. Here's what I was thinking.. A power wire from battery thru fire wall to the acc of a lighted toggle switch. Then a power wire from toggle to the back of truck to a relay. Then from relay to each mounted light. And with grounds from each light, relay and toggle. Does this sound right? Do I need an inline fuse anywhere? Thanks

campbellflage

Reaction score
I bought some cheap ridgid look a likes off amazon and used a relay off the stock reverse light, and took power from the trailer harness, they come on only when the truck lights are on and the truck is in reverse, no need to mess with toggles. but if you want a toggle, you run power to the relay with inline fuse, separate power to the toggle to the relay, and from relay to light, and ground, and ground at each light.

chadmack

Reaction score
Ok so if I'm understanding this, would it be a 5 way relay? Power from 12v to relay and a separate power from 12v to toggle?

campbellflage

Reaction score
My setup is a 4 way, takes the power from the backup light, so its run to one of the 4 prongs on the relay, and straight power from the brown wire in the trailer harness with an inline fuse to another prong on the relay, one prong is ground from the relay, and the last prong is power to the lights.
If you want to use a toggle just replace the way I have mine setup and run a power wire to a toggle and to the prong (that i used from the reverse light on my setup). orileys has a good kit all made up just for this kind of install with a toggle switch, i just cut it off.

eng53ine

Reaction score
If you pull your power from the battery, you should put a fuse there at the beginning of your circuit.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

chadmack

Reaction score
Ok thanks a lot guys, I think I know what I need to do. And when I go in town next I'll hit the O'Reillys and check out there kit too. Appreciate it!

Bustedknuckles

Reaction score
I just bought some $30 shipped led pods off ebay and tapped into my trailer backup lights. Works sweet. These are ones i put on a buddies truck.
70c257117d01dabe17488f5eee54cce3.jpg

Latest posts

Members online