Extremely low compression?

dthompson

Reaction score
Ok, bought a truck that wouldn't run. Has good icp, injectors all sound good. Decided to check compression. On the driver side I got 280, 120, 80, 80. Seems odd that the motor could be that hurt. Haven't got the passenger side tore apart. Going to squirt some oil in tomorrow and see if it changes but just don't understand how it could be that hurt.

Arisley

Reaction score
Check the air filter. And the hose between the air filter and the turbo. If there is dirt in the hose, that same dirt could kill the turbo and the rings.

79jasper

Reaction score
I'm not so sure I would go dumping oil in.
Haven't seen it myself, (but I've been told it's a bad idea) but you could accidentally light the oil off, causing the gauge to explode.
Leak down tester would be better.

Sent from my SM-G900R4 using Tapatalk

Arisley

Reaction score
I'm not so sure I would go dumping oil in.
Haven't seen it myself, (but I've been told it's a bad idea) but you could accidentally light the oil off, causing the gauge to explode.
Leak down tester would be better.

Sent from my SM-G900R4 using Tapatalk

It won't happen if the engine is cold and the glow plugs are out. I would worry more about hydrolocking, and you don't have to worry about that. You are only putting in enough oil to coat the piston top. Make sure the 42 pin connector is unplugged.

dthompson

Reaction score
Glow plugs are out. 42 Pin connector is unpluggled. I checked compression with a gauge screwed into the glow plug hole in each cylinder. Then started cranking. I will check the air filter hose. Going to try the oil later this morning. Thanks guys.

dthompson

Reaction score
Engine is cold. It won't start. Dumped oil in the cylinder then it had 300+ in the cylinder that had 120 yesterday. Guess time to yank the motor.

TARM

Reaction score
Sound like the engine is in need of a rebuild. Hope the deal you got on it was in line with the costs of the rebuild. Actually that is where some of the very best deals can be had i.e blow tranny or engine. If you have the skill and means you can do well with those.

Latest posts

Members online