Extremely strong Exhaust Smell

Bydesign1

Reaction score
I have the exact same thing going on. The smell from this truck (15 deeleeted) is so much worse than my 99 or my 02 7.3. I literally feel like I'm washing the walls with the amount of fuel going in the truck. Combine that with the terrible mileage, and I think PIP is junk. I have not had good luck getting them to revise anything within the tune.
As far as I'm concerned, they are crooks who only care about the first sale and won't (at least in my case) follow up or reply to check and see what the problem is.

Notneb

Reaction score
I have the exact same thing going on. The smell from this truck (15 deeleeted) is so much worse than my 99 or my 02 7.3. I literally feel like I'm washing the walls with the amount of fuel going in the truck. Combine that with the terrible mileage, and I think PIP is junk. I have not had good luck getting them to revise anything within the tune.
As far as I'm concerned, they are crooks who only care about the first sale and won't (at least in my case) follow up or reply to check and see what the problem is.

So first of all I've talked with David at P!P and he's resolved any issues I've had and answered ever question promptly and professionally. The exhaust smell is from improperly fitting components, not tuning. Tune it as rich as you want, only way you get exhaust smells in the cab is from an exhaust leak somewhere. And calling them crooks, really? You sure you're not from a certain Facebook crowd?

sootie

Reaction score
my 12 stinks in the cab when idling and i'm still running stock intake, downpipe and egr. H&S tunes

Notneb

Reaction score
Did you have that crazy strong exhaust smell?

Yes, that plate if it's leaking, will direct exhaust towards the cabs intake for the ac system. Ill fitting down pipe is the same story, heat rises so it just goes up the firewall and into the cab ac intake.

Bydesign1

Reaction score
So first of all I've talked with David at P!P and he's resolved any issues I've had and answered ever question promptly and professionally. The exhaust smell is from improperly fitting components, not tuning. Tune it as rich as you want, only way you get exhaust smells in the cab is from an exhaust leak somewhere. And calling them crooks, really? You sure you're not from a certain Facebook crowd?

Nope, not for the FB crowd you speak of. My exhaust smell is while outside the truck. If it's idling, you literally can't stand next to it without burning your eyes. Never had this happen on any other tuned truck. I have a few buddies with 11-15 f350 tuned and it's not bad at all on theirs.
I don't have an egeer block off yet, ccv is still stock.
Supposedly they have returned it for me (took 2 weeks) and the issues are still the same.
Calling them crooks comes from not being able to get a hold of anyone! I own a business, and when a client has an issue or problem...it's my problem as well. I'll go thru as much as I can to help them with the issue and see it resolved. I would expect all honest business owners do the same...I have not had this experience with PIP. I would love for some or ALL or my issues to be resolved, but I have little faith since I have been working on this since August.
I'm glad you have had a positive experience, however I have not and feel it's important to share my experience with the tunes/company.

Cpstanley

Reaction score

I have not contacted David and inquired about the possibility of having my tuning looked at. Would you be able to provide me with his contact information so I can contact him?

Notneb

Reaction score
Nope, not for the FB crowd you speak of. My exhaust smell is while outside the truck. If it's idling, you literally can't stand next to it without burning your eyes. Never had this happen on any other tuned truck. I have a few buddies with 11-15 f350 tuned and it's not bad at all on theirs.
I don't have an egeer block off yet, ccv is still stock.
Supposedly they have returned it for me (took 2 weeks) and the issues are still the same.
Calling them crooks comes from not being able to get a hold of anyone! I own a business, and when a client has an issue or problem...it's my problem as well. I'll go thru as much as I can to help them with the issue and see it resolved. I would expect all honest business owners do the same...I have not had this experience with PIP. I would love for some or ALL or my issues to be resolved, but I have little faith since I have been working on this since August.
I'm glad you have had a positive experience, however I have not and feel it's important to share my experience with the tunes/company.

Smell outside the cab is different and I may have missed your mention of that. I will agree compared to my '02 7.3 AND my '08 Cummins, yes the '15's in particular seem to stink it up outside. PM me if you'd like David's email, he has always responded within a day!

Bydesign1

Reaction score
Smell outside the cab is different and I may have missed your mention of that. I will agree compared to my '02 7.3 AND my '08 Cummins, yes the '15's in particular seem to stink it up outside. PM me if you'd like David's email, he has always responded within a day!

I'm not too concerned with the stink from other people's perspective, more worried about the smoke (white/blue) on cold start. I wouldn't think a new truck should have that...makes me think I'm washing the walls on the motor and will have problems in the future. Sending you a pm.

Bydesign1

Reaction score
Been email David on and off the last few days trying to sort out what's going on with the truck. So far so good. The latest revisions in level 1 & 2 have eliminated my issues and caused me to go up to about 16.1 mpg driving thru the mtns! I am now convinced that my issues were purely from having to go thru too many vendors to get my tunes burnt. From now, I'll be dealing with David directly and keeping my PIP tunes. Could not be more happy now!!!

20156point7

Reaction score
pip has always been really quick to respond to emails and is really helpful. Im not crazy about the harsh lockup in 3rd but the newest revision coming out soon should fix that.

Notneb

Reaction score
Yeah David is insanely quick to reply compared to every other vendor I've dealt with. Even when he's busy he'll email saying so and that he'll get back to me later. Awesome guy, can't wait to see what v8 lv4 will be like!!!

TexAg56

Reaction score
Bydesign1 hey man could your problem be that your tune is designed for a truck that has the Egr ******d or blocked off and you have not done that yet? Just a thought

jwanck11

Reaction score
Been email David on and off the last few days trying to sort out what's going on with the truck. So far so good. The latest revisions in level 1 & 2 have eliminated my issues and caused me to go up to about 16.1 mpg driving thru the mtns! I am now convinced that my issues were purely from having to go thru too many vendors to get my tunes burnt. From now, I'll be dealing with David directly and keeping my PIP tunes. Could not be more happy now!!!

Smart move and glad that you are getting a good outcome!

lincolnlocker

Reaction score
my 12 stinks in the cab when idling and i'm still running stock intake, downpipe and egr. H&S tunes
mine is the same.. but still no where near as bad as my 7.3s..

who is David at p i p? i have emailed mike there before and haven't gotten a response back after the last question i asked... been a while but just my experience. not complaining.. i like the tunes. just had some questions..

live life full throttle

god bless america and the farmer who feeds your fat ass

Bydesign1

Reaction score
Bydesign1 hey man could your problem be that your tune is designed for a truck that has the Egr ******d or blocked off and you have not done that yet? Just a thought

Maybe, I'm planning on nixing the egr as soon as I'm not sick. Crappy way to spend Xmas. Already have the no limit egr deeleete, but really like the new H & S baffled design...may have to pick that up.

Notneb

Reaction score
mine is the same.. but still no where near as bad as my 7.3s..

who is David at p i p? i have emailed mike there before and haven't gotten a response back after the last question i asked... been a while but just my experience. not complaining.. i like the tunes. just had some questions..

live life full throttle

god bless america and the farmer who feeds your fat ass

David Black is their head calibrator, Mike is the owner.

FX44AU

Reaction score
Mine stinks in the cab only while idling for extended periods of time. Any other time it's just outside the cab.

Latest posts

Members online

No members online now.