F-550 build...Work Rig.

MAC

Reaction score
Awesome, I love seeing some good looking work trucks.

With all the tools I'm lugging around right now I'd love to have a service body!

B.Warning

Reaction score
Couple more pics...Damn its nice having a flatbed. Off topic...but got tractions bars welded on my KR today so no progress on the F550. Going sled pulling tomorrow so I guess we'll see how this slug will pull my gn with my KR and Rhino on the trailer.

Resampled952012-08-039519-34-3495704.jpg

Resampled952012-08-039519-33-3095236.jpg

davey99ps

Reaction score
Cuz if you break something its nice not to have to worry how to get the truck home. I love your kr, an the work trucks coming along, I'm sure it'll look great after the 4x4 swap

B.Warning

Reaction score
Exactly...I haven't been having the best of luck this year with the KR. I'm definitely finding my weak links. Thanks for the complements guys.

Anybody else having any slick ideas to make the bed more useable?

B.Warning

Reaction score
Make some 8" or 10" tall wooden sides and a "tailgate" for the bed, and stop them right at the edge of your toolbox.

That's a big negative. I hate the way wood sides look on a flatbed. I have thought about a 6" metal side on a hinge to fold down.
Does the bed have stake pockets & rub rails? Can't tell from the pics but that is something every flatbed needs. BTW the 08 looks TITS! :thumbsup:

It has rub rails but not stake pockets. They are a necessity IMO. I'm also going to weld tie downs on the bed for extra anchor points.

Cat_rebel

Reaction score
That's a big negative. I hate the way wood sides look on a flatbed. I have thought about a 6" metal side on a hinge to fold down./QUOTE]

I was always going to do that on mine but never got around to it. If you could space out hinges & use bolts or pins to let em fold down for loaded/unloading. But also allow the sides to be easily removed completely if needed.

vcassens

Reaction score
Sweet. I'm looking forward to making it run better. This thing is a turd compared to what I'm use to.

I have thought about it. Nice winter project...I wonder how hard it would be? I know where a super 60 is, just have to find a transfer case. Damn you guys.

Just trying to help

B.Warning

Reaction score
Well it wasn't a very good night. Just getting home with a broken truck. I took off strong and as soon as I laid into it....POW!!! twisted the pinion off the rear axle and something let lose or came apart in the transfer case so no 4wd. I think the front axle is good but I'm not sure. I had to pull the axle shafts out to load it on the trailer. the rear was stuck tight.

YeeHaw now I get to buy shiny new parts.

vcassens

Reaction score
And that is why it is pulled to the track on a trailer LOL also how did the new pig do towing it?

PSDSeven.3

Reaction score
A few ideas for you to ponder... underbody tool boxes, you have enough room for a 5' box between the cab and axle. I have that on my work truck and it sucks so I would say get a 3' and 2' box for the drivers side and you mentioned building a rack to hold 5 gallon oil cans. That could go on the passenger side. Standard underbody boxes are 18" square so the rack could be that size or smaller, whatever size fits your cans.

You also mentioned putting chains and binders under the bed in a box, that would be a pain since they would all get tangled up. Build a rack to hold them on the backside of the headache rack like a semi, you can always lock them too if you are worried about them being taken.

Finally LED work lights on the headache rack, Napa has some for about $40 each I think. I have four on my work truck and would like more, but my bed is not set up very good so I am stuck with it. I am planning on putting a light in with my gooseneck hitch too since my generator and tool boxes block the work lights, though this may not be an issue for you it is something to think about. Oh yeah Montezuma boxes ftmfw.

Latest posts

Members online