F250/350 2wd Coil Springs

BilletGarage

Reaction score
I've searched and found lots of threads which explain the different coil spring codes for 4X4 front coils but what about 2wd Coils? For the 4X4's the factory coils can be identified by the FGAWR on the door tag. Same for 2wd's? My FGAWR is 4,550lbs (2008 F250 Single Cab Long Bed). Would like a softer lower coil but can't find any information. Would imagine coils off a gasser would be the ticket but can't find the spring codes anywhere so I know what to get. Thanks in advance!

me2

Reaction score
My old truck was a 2WD.

The springs are about 2" shorter on the 2WDs versus the 4WD, IIRC.

The spring buckets are the same IIRC.

The spring ratings in the Ford specs are at the spindle, ie they account for the Twin I Beam geometry, at least the specs for some years anyway.

The 4x4 springs are quite a bit softer. I ran a soft 4x4 spring in my 2WD truck. After a few months it sagged badly. I converted it to air ride suspension, which rode better, cornered better and didn't sag at all.

BilletGarage

Reaction score
My old truck was a 2WD.

The springs are about 2" shorter on the 2WDs versus the 4WD, IIRC.

The spring buckets are the same IIRC.

The spring ratings in the Ford specs are at the spindle, ie they account for the Twin I Beam geometry, at least the specs for some years anyway.

The 4x4 springs are quite a bit softer. I ran a soft 4x4 spring in my 2WD truck. After a few months it sagged badly. I converted it to air ride suspension, which rode better, cornered better and didn't sag at all.

Thank you! That's good information! I have a set of 4800lb 4x4 springs I was thinking about cutting down. Also was considering Air Ride but want the truck to handle good in the twisties and was concerned there would be excessive body roll. What Air Ride kit did you run? Front and back? Thanks again!

I couldnt find much on different springs for mine either. So im interested in knowing what you find out to.

I will let you know anything I find out Mike. Following your build. :popcorn:

Last edited:

BCB

Reaction score
Ever find a softer front spring?

I've got an 2WD 05 that was a C&C and want to drop the front some more then the DJM kit already on it.

fastersteve

Reaction score
In 2WD:
Diesel Excursions have softer springs

F250/350 springs are slightly stiffer (same height, 1 less coil)

F450/550 springs are the stiffest

I replaced my X springs with 250/350 springs, no change to ride height but a much better ride-way less wallowing.

Latest posts

Members online