F350 vs F250 according to dealer

06-sixoh

Reaction score
When I bought my '250, I originally wanted a '350 SRW, but they didn't have one that I liked on stock. When asking about the difference, the salesman said the ONLY difference was the helper spring in the rear. He also said that I could put a spring pack from a '350 on my '250, have DMV verify, then they would rewrite my title to a '350. I currently live in CA, and want to know if anybody has any experience with this.

TyCorr

Reaction score
Why would you want the title revised for that? You have to get a different plate if you bump up your gvwr and then you will be subject to inspections and such.

I also disagree with that explanation. A 250 can have an overload spring in the rear. My 00 did, my 03 did. F350s typically have a bigger rear block under the spring pack to allow the truck to be level when loaded vs unloaded in a 250.

I guess Im unsure why you would even be worried about this?

TyCorr

Reaction score
Im sorry...i jumped the gun on my post...i assumed some things. Carry on..

Cutting-Edge Diesel

Reaction score
Difference is the block in the rear. 350s have a 2.5" block 250 2" if I remeber right.

I highly doubt dot wil go off anythig other than the factory door tag. But could be diffrent in diffrent states

Reaction score
I live in California. I'm unsure why you would do this. If it's for your own peace of mind, that's one thing.. But you could register it as a commercial vehicle for up to 80k probably and no DOT would bother you except for your tires.

Sent from my SAMSUNG-SM-G890A using Tapatalk

ncollins64

Reaction score
Like said above, some 250s come with the helper spring. Just the way there ordered. But the rear blocks is really the only physical difference besides going to a dually. I actually made my 250 a 350. Got a vin number from a buddy's 350 srw and ordered the rear springs and blocks.

Rubenk

Reaction score
Depends on why you want the 350, for actual tow ratings(legal) or realistic capability. Realistically zero difference between the two capability wise. Legally is a different story though as the 350 will have the higher factory rating.

TyCorr

Reaction score
Nobody around here wants them because the operating cost difference. My 3500srw was a bigger plate, twice as much for registration, because the gvwr was over 8800 it had to be inspected twice per year. Run a 3/4 ton they only inspect what you pull. And ford 3/4s you can get the overload so there is literally zero incentive.

TyCorr

Reaction score
But nobody gives you the "D" plate because the old literature (motor vehicle code) is still saying a 3/4 ton can run a b plate and a 1 ton has to have a D.

TyCorr

Reaction score
Ford 3/4 tons are rated for 10k these days

And actually my 14 duraturd was rated at 10,200 whereas the same truck in a 2500 was a 10, 300 because the frikkin 3500 has overloads on the gm trucks so you have to subtract, in theory anyway, the extra hundo from the rating.

tbsimmons

Reaction score
Like above if ordered right the 250 will only be different because of the 1.75" block compared to a 3.75" block.
If yours doesnt have an upper overload I would just put air bags on it. My brothers 250 handled my toyhauler alright with no upper overload with air bags and it has over 4000# of pin weight.
What shocked me was the new dually F350 has a 1" block which I had never seen.
To get into the upper overload you need to be into the suspension a lot.

I would not register it as a 350, they have to re-classify the truck, I would be willing to bet the salesman was full of crap. The DMV goes off the manufacturer says it can hold this amount. Either way if you can or not your registration will go up.

snik

Reaction score
For actual capability the two aren't that far apart. Who in heir right mind is going to do the block change. Then go through he trouble to re title the vehicle. What the hell for, just buy some damn 350 badges if you want it that bad.
The salesman is full of it, and the reason for even wanting to do all that isn't clear.

06-sixoh

Reaction score
The only reason I would consider this, is to be legal for heavier loads. It wasnt really something i seriously considering, it was just something I had never heard of, so I inquired.

It seemed too simple to actually make sense. Like I said, I originally wanted a 350 SRW, but when I saw my truck I fell in love. hahaha.

If I just wanted the badges, I would have stolen them off of tb's new SixSeven, and made it foe fiddy. LOL

Latest posts

Members online