Factory cac boot strength?

dsberman94

Reaction score
My father and I got to talking last weekend about the time we were towing a 32' tow behind camper on a highway up a hill near fishkill New York, and we blew the rubber intercooler boot off at the intake pipe, it blew off with enough force that the pipe dented the underside of the hood on a support, so no exterior damage. But when we finally pulled the boot off completely at the fishkill ford dealership. It had broken every single fiber strand in the boot. The boot itself was actually more of a sphere than a cylinder and extremely pliable, cold and hot, but didn't rip or tear. I'm just curious if any of the vendors or other members have tested one of those boots and gotten this same scenario. And then at what psi those strands within the boot broke at? This was a bone stock truck, no gauges on it so we're both wondering what it takes to do this.

6.0 Tech

Reaction score
Tend to see situations like this when they are old. They get little cracks in them, and start leaking oil which deteriorates the silicone until it finally goes. I keep a close eye on them every oil change or so. Mine is holding up fine at 35 psi...

Latest posts

Members online