Factory Compounds.

Jonnydime

Reaction score
What would a set of factory turbos with 55,000 miles be worth. Some time around February I will start by build and they will be coming off whole.

forcefed6.4ford

Reaction score
Not much. Maybe a little more than cores. Just keep them for FML spares. My II's will be, in the event that I develop unforeseen issues. Better to have to rip a bunch of sh1t apart over a few days to retro fit than be down for an undetermined amount of time waiting for a replacement part.

Jonnydime

Reaction score
Maybe one of the vendors here will take them in trade:D the last things on my list are 2 jgs wastegates and a bov.

Dzchey21

Reaction score
to ford they are worth 800 only if you buy them from fomoco

I think the common core price that places will pay is 150 per unit

Crack85

Reaction score
to ford they are worth 800 only if you buy them from fomoco

I think the common core price that places will pay is 150 per unit

Its funny that the core charge is like 800 dollars but u can only get 500 out of them. Lol

If that's the common price why is the core charge for atmo only 800. Why not 150? Forgive me if this is a stupid question.

sootie

Reaction score
If that's the common price why is the core charge for atmo only 800. Why not 150? Forgive me if this is a stupid question.

its nature of the beast. we sell diesel engines in our business that the core is almost is much as the replacement engine and i could barely sell the blown core for scrap. it doesnt make sense but it is what it is.

04stroker

Reaction score

Some people do it to make sure they get their cores back. Some may say "it's only 150$ I will just keep it." Then the vendors have to go looking for cores to buy because most build these out of new turbos anyway and need cores to return to Borg Warner, Ford whoever they get them from. So it keeps from having to look for cores to return or paying someone to look for them and sometimes they are hard to come by.

Crack85

Reaction score
Some people do it to make sure they get their cores back. Some may say "it's only 150$ I will just keep it." Then the vendors have to go looking for cores to buy because most build these out of new turbos anyway and need cores to return to Borg Warner, Ford whoever they get them from. So it keeps from having to look for cores to return or paying someone to look for them and sometimes they are hard to come by.

I guess I get it....so I'm guessing they are really only worth 150? Vendors just jack the price up to make their life easier?

04stroker

Reaction score
I guess I get it....so I'm guessing they are really only worth 150? Vendors just jack the price up to make their life easier?

Some do but they also pay much more than 150$ core charge from whomever they get them from. So if they put core charge at 150$ and don't get them back they start losing money trying to find a core set to get their core charge back. Ford usually charges at least 500$ core charge. So even if a vendor charges exactly what they get charged as a core and do not get them back they are paying a employee or losing time themselves looking for a good priced core, paying shipping, waiting on it, and sending back to the manufacturer. Just the wonderful world of business. For instance I bought a 65$ brake caliper yesterday with a 60$ core charge. So it's not just with diesel parts it is everything the manufacturers are doing what they can to get all the usable cores back possible.

Breaking Habits

Reaction score
Most places base their core cost around this principle

If John Doe buys an atmo charger from me..

I have a 250.00 guaranteed core charge back to ford, the reason its 600 bucks more, is becuase thats roughly what someone deep with ford can purchase one for

You have to remember, if i get screwed out of getting a core back, I have to eat that cost with ford, then I have to replace that unit

You have to base the charge the customer pays of covering the core and REPLACING the unit when it comes to turbos. Injectors, not really a big deal, just pay the core or eat it.

Powerstroked162

On Da Juice
Reaction score
Core charges aren't that complicated. Ford core: $XXX = your core charge, if you're buying new to replace. Most places base their core charge off of going market rate of used turbos. Since the CHRA is being rebuilt with better than ford parts anyway, buying a new core is a waste of money. Especially at $4-600 more than a used item goes for.

Latest posts

Members online