Factory oil pressure Gauge?

TD-5

Reaction score
Hey all, researching another possible project & looking for any insite from the collective here. Last year I put a 3 gauge pillar mount in the truck, Pyro, Boost, & Exhaust BP. Why another boost gauge when there's one in the dash? Just me, I wanted Boost & BP over one another.
Sooo.... Now I have this unneeded factory boost gauge & I've been thinking.
All the Gas truck instrument panels have a LOP gauge where the Boost gauge is on the Diesels.
Is it possible to install a Gas dash in place of the Diesel dash & make the LOP gauge work?
i) Visually from the outside the differences between Gas/Diesel panels are the Boost/LOP gauge change & the gas Tach is scaled higher, not sure about the rest.
ii)The oil pressure idiot light in the diesel dash appears to be feed directly from the engine pressure switch acording to the wiring diagram. The Boost signal to the gauge appears to be from the ECM.
iii)Could a Gas Dash oil pressure gauge be fed a signal directly from an variable engine oil pressure sensor installed on the 6.4?
iv) Where does the LOP gauge on the gas models get its signal from, direct from engine sensor or thru ECM.

Attachments

• isspro gauges.JPG
    isspro gauges.JPG
    162.5 KB · Views: 50
  • KR dash 6.4.jpg
    KR dash 6.4.jpg
    110.5 KB · Views: 60
  • king ranch v10 dash.jpg
    king ranch v10 dash.jpg
    59 KB · Views: 67

Powerstroke Man 6.4

Reaction score
its a dummy gauge and the signal from the sensor is directly feed to the cluster and has no connection to the PCM.

Well that's what the 6.4 TRM says, screen grab below.

But the 6.4s never came with a OP gauge on the cluster? (I never seen one )I know we only have the low OP can light that will come on, unless its referring to the light?).

I have only seen the OP gauges on the gasser clusters like you said.

http://i.imgur.com/liTcJpcl.png

Last edited:

TD-5

Reaction score
Quote:"its a dummy gauge and the signal from the sensor is directly feed to the cluster and has no connection to the PCM.
But the 6.4s never came with a OP gauge on the cluster? (I never seen one )I know we only have the low OP can light that will come on, unless its referring to the light?).
I have only seen the OP gauges on the gasser clusters like you said."

Agree ,the diesels only have the idiot light in the dash which is fed directly from the pressure switch.

Need to find electrical drawings for the Gas model(s) to see how the oil pressure gauge gets its signal. IF, it comes directly from a variable pressure sensor then I think this is easily done.... but my feeling is it will probably come from the ECM for the gas engine, which may make things more difficult.
In general, How is the information sent to instrument panel?, individual wiring, from sensors or ECM, or thru the Canbus network?

Jonnydime

Reaction score
Quote:"its a dummy gauge and the signal from the sensor is directly feed to the cluster and has no connection to the PCM.
I have only seen the OP gauges on the gasser clusters like you said."

Agree ,the diesels only have the idiot light in the dash which is fed directly from the pressure switch.

Need to find electrical drawings for the Gas model(s) to see how the oil pressure gauge gets its signal. IF, it comes directly from a variable pressure sensor then I think this is easily done.... but my feeling is it will probably come from the ECM for the gas engine, which may make things more difficult.
In general, How is the information sent to instrument panel?, individual wiring, from sensors or ECM, or thru the Canbus network?
Did you read the text in the pic posted. I believe it was for a gas engine since it said the gauge will read in the normal range for anything above 7psi and will read 0 for anything 5psi or below.

TD-5

Reaction score
That's page 58 from the 6.4 coffee table book. I was thinking that description was for the warning light on the dash. Possibly that is a generic description that applies to both the diesel warning light & the gas model oil pressure gauge.
I have seen a lot of factory oil pressure gauges that just use a pressure switch as described to active the oil pressure gauge, the gauge doesn't actually represent true pressure, it just indicates there is pressure above a certain value.

6.0 Tech

Reaction score
The gasser gauge is an jdiot gauge , just like the light on the diesels. It is either 0, 1/2, or full. Full indicates a short prior to the sensor. Ford has not used an actual oil pressure gauge in a long time on normal vehicles.

TD-5

Reaction score
Sounds good, I am going to try & find the instrument cluster in white from a gasser & see what I can do. I know older Ford oil pressure gauges that were idiot gauges could be modified by by-passing the gauge resistor & changing the pressure switch to a pressure sensing sending unit.

Attachments

• king ranch v10 dash.jpg
    king ranch v10 dash.jpg
    59 KB · Views: 45

TD-5

Reaction score
Well, contacted local yards with no luck, 1 local yard found nothing on locator search, the other showed a possible in Farmington New Mexico. Sent out some E-mails & awaiting reply.
For anyone looking here are some 2010 Instrument Cluster part #s that I have come across so far:
i) AC3Z10849XA 5.4 & 6.8 Gas Fx4 Auto
ii) AC3Z10849NA 5.4&6.8 Gas Lariat Auto ( should be what FORD calls Metallic faced with cream gauges)
iii)AC3Z10849EA 5.4 & 6.8 Gas XL & XLT Auto ( black & black gauges)
iv) AC3Z10489JA 5.4 & 6.8 Gas Lariat FX4, Lariat, XL & XLT Manual transmission
vi)AC3Z10849AEA 6.4 Diesel, Lariat, FX4, Xl, XLT, Auto transmission
vii)AC3Z10849LA 6.4 Lariat, FX4, XL, XLT, Manual Transmission

There are also separate #s for the Harley Davidson Instrument panels which I have yet to find.

2008 & 2009 part #s are similiar but not the same.

Latest posts

Members online