failing HPOP

levi1906

Reaction score
E99 7.3, P.I.S 160/30, beans 6 position chip, WWII, 4" turbo back

I replaced injectors back last july, and since then my truck hasn't seemed to run quite right. it didn't seem to have the same feel at take off. like it was lacking power, and would idle very much different than I was used to. I discovered while doing injectors that I had an up pipe leaking so I blamed what I was feeling different on being my leaking up pipes and just the way the new injectors ran.

in January I replaced the uppipes and added a wwII, 4'' turbo back exhaust, 3" plenums, and a boost fooler . made a world of difference in the way it ran but still didn't help my take off or idle.

so iv been reading up on the high pressure oil side of things, as far as I know its stock pump with 220000 miles. so iv known its probably lacking, but not too terribly concerned with it...... until tonight!

I went out and ran it watching the IPR dc and ICP.

chip tuned up.
cold start and idle, 600rpm DC 19.5, and IPC 760 to 830. and continued to jump back and forth.

hot idle, 600rpm DC 10.1, and IPC 460 to 530.

driving at 55mph at 1500rpm DC 13.5 and ICP 713 to 820.

WOT DC 84, and ICP dropped to 1800 came back to 2000 and 2300, and continued to bounce back and forth between the two till I let off.

second pass at WOT, DC 76, and ICP dropped to 1700 and leveled off at 1900 to 2000.

so just for fun I put the chip back to stock

idle DC 11.7, and ICP 490 to 570.

WOT DC 34 and ICP 1900 and leveled off bouncing between 2000 and 2100.

had a couple more runs with the relatively the same results before I got pulled over lol.

evry time just like always when id let off to start slowing down when I hit the clutch to pull off the road rpms will drop to 400 and come right back to 600, just long enough to see the head lights kinda dim and then when I get stoped it will kinda sound like its loping.

I guess its rather apparent I need a hpop, but my question is will a failing hpop cause the low power on take off and the dropping rpms everytime I let off the throttle and the loping idle?

iv read that if it cant hold about 2300 ICP its bad, but what is good ICP and DC?

anyways sorry for the long post.

2000wa250

Reaction score
All depends on your tunes. The all out numbers are bad, that's for sure. The "stock" tune numbers aren't bad of that's what the tuner is calling for ICP wise (which judging by ipr% they are).

Sent from my SCH-I545 using Tapatalk

duck fan

Reaction score
Not to mention your E99 has a 15 degree HPOP so its going to have a hard time keeping up in your hot tunes at WOT. Swapping to a 17 degree or even a T500 should help with your ICP issues for sure.

2000wa250

Reaction score
I was under the impression that e99 was still a 17*. Never thought any different from my conversations with joey. I'll confirm tomorrow, he's supposed to call.me back about some.other stuff

Sent from my SCH-I545 using Tapatalk

Baker42

Reaction score
:fordoval:You have a HPO leak almost 95% sure. See if you can borrow or build a test gauge for the HP rails and see if it leaks down Sometimes you can hear it. Parts do wear out. I had one of the "top guys" in the industry tell me that heat does not affect IPR or ICP sensors. They are made by man and therefore in some cases go bad. Pump is just workin too hard. You are either leakin or the IPR is just dumpin

Last edited:

thuglike

Reaction score
You already run our tunes ....so tweeking for the pump will be free!!!

Attachments

• jr-teaser.jpg
    jr-teaser.jpg
    84.7 KB · Views: 69

Southmike

Reaction score
For the price of a stock reman you can have a t500.
now if you can get a 17 out of a pick n pull yard for cheap go for that.
if it is cheaper then 100 sell it as a core.. joey buys them prob the other guys as well.

TyCorr

Reaction score
A healthy 17° pump is plenty of oil for a 160/30. As confirmed by others, e99 did have a 15° pump.

If the truck is leaking hpo, the pump doesnt matter.

m j

Reaction score
Whats that got to do with anything? T500 is cheap!

live life full throttle

does a t500 use new pistons and cylinder block?
if it reuses the worn out parts from the OPs pump and stroke it with a new swash plate it still wont make the oil it should
recent graphs seem to show that

lincolnlocker

Reaction score
does a t500 use new pistons and cylinder block?
if it reuses the worn out parts from the OPs pump and stroke it with a new swash plate it still wont make the oil it should
recent graphs seem to show that

I honestly have no clue whats done to the t500.. only thing I have seen or read about over the last 6 years is that it has been a significant improvement over stock. Now I have never seen a direct comparison between a healthy/new oem hpop and the t500 so I cant go off how much better it would be.. but I do know that its way cheaper to buy a t500 then any quality reman hpop.. especially cuz ive seen joey stand behind the t500 if ever needed.

live life full throttle

Latest posts

Members online

No members online now.