Famous 6.7 tick after oil change

01PSD

Reaction score
In any engine failure they have the oil tested. So I think the oil in these trucks shouldn't be over looked.

True, however most engine failures have been connected to:
1. Valve dropping (bad batch)
2. Glow plug tip breaking off, piston to head carnage LOL

CATDiezel

Reaction score
The oil gets tested for fuel contamination and what metal debris was in the oil. We do it regularly. Its the only real evidence we have to see what might have started the failure first on a catastrophic failure of any sort. Some times the damage is so great its hard to point a finger so an oil analysis is like a tattle tale.

9999 out of 10,000 the oil had nothing to do with it. Rather a contaminant that was IN the oil.

In the case of trucks with DPF systems FUEL contamination is the leading #1 cause of issues..... not the quality of the oil.

Dzchey21

Reaction score
oil sampling is only good if you do it ALL the time, one sample will not tell you anything

CATDiezel

Reaction score
oil sampling is only good if you do it ALL the time, one sample will not tell you anything

Used for developing a "trail" they learn you that in AFA I II or III. Take them in Peoria not the cheap-o- dealer versions.

not looking to see what the oil was but what fine particular contaminants lead to a "probable" cause for a Inc. report for the factory. the factory actually demands one at POF.

But agree with you as for trending purposes. one oil sample blows!

Last edited:

Dzchey21

Reaction score
if 2k per class was cheap then i dont wanna know what expensive is LOL

they dont send us out to peoria much, Generator stuff... yes. We have our own FA group so what i learn doesn't do any good anyway. They just by-pass my opinion anyway.

And we don't rely on sampling that much we go off what parts we find in the engine to tell most of the story.

CATDiezel

Reaction score
You know.... Come to think of it. The dealers charge more for the classes than Peoria does!! I've found the teaching to be alittle better with Inc. Even though certain dealers are credited classes.

Sometimes the catastrophy is so bad a oil sample will lead you to the POF. Especially if there was a rain/rust situation.

FA guys can be real jerks! Lol...

Motostroker

Reaction score
Ok I tried 15w-40 rotella, 5w-40 rotella, and now 5w-40 amsoil. I still have the tick. What oil next?

bigrpowr

<How I Fly
Administrator
Reaction score
Ok I tried 15w-40 rotella, 5w-40 rotella, and now 5w-40 amsoil. I still have the tick. What oil next?

how many ***king miles are you putting on it buddy ??? i havent cracked 1500 yet!

i will be trying the valvoline x blue when i do my first change.

Motostroker

Reaction score
Chit... Drake travels like I do... I am at 28,700....... I bet drake is over 30 k by now...

I actually slowed down since classes started again. Between work and class I can't drive no where near as much. I cracked 20k the other week. But yea, me and corb keep the road hot for sure! Lol

Corb@CorbinShipping

Reaction score
I actually slowed down since classes started again. Between work and class I can't drive no where near as much. I cracked 20k the other week. But yea, me and corb keep the road hot for sure! Lol

Right on. Hell, I will have 2000 on the Explorer by the time I get to Ennis next week, and I only have 132 right now... LOL

lincolnlocker

Reaction score
i changed my oil again at 8k and that was 5k on his oil change... went with the 5-40 delo this time just to try it and see about the tick. it still ticks when just started and when warm/hot it goes away...

live life full throttle

Latest posts

Members online