Famous 6.7 tick after oil change

lincolnlocker

Reaction score
I run valvoline Extreme Blue, full synthetic. 5w40, and no tick... Anything else, tick for the first 500-700 miles.

I've also got 151,860 miles on a 19 month old 350 Duallie, with over 110,000 with a 52 foot enclosed GN attached, and have grossed over 36,000 on more than a few occasions... I get about 7-8 k on an oil change...

2013 lariat cclb DRW purchased may 2013...
bad ass corb.. gladd you are back in here for a visit!!
Yup.... About 20,000 miles ago, I thought I cracked the plastic pipe that runs to the IC. Big whoosh of air when on the skinny pedal...

Broken exhaust up pipe flange stud....

One major failure in 151,000 miles.... Good job, Ford!!!

Oh yeah.... That 10,000 pound drive axle rating, is on the low side..., 13,800 on the drive axles... For a short trip.... Phoenix, AZ to Fayetteville, NC... No issues....

live life full throttle

Last edited:

Randy_270

Reaction score
I will say the same thing I did in the "oil preference" thread.

I starting off using synthetic 10w30 Motorcraft oil, truck ticked for the first 500ish miles then it was fairly quiet with the odd tick here and there. Usually started ticking again near time to change the oil.

Then used Rotella T6 5w40, truck never really stopped ticking but while driving even with the windows down it wasn't really noticeable even when stopped.

Then I tried Valvoline True Blue 5w40 synthetic and wow did my truck tick like crazy, even while curising through town with the windows down at slower speeds I could hear it ticking.

Then I tried Amsoil 5w30 Series 3000 full synthetic and a blob of Lucas Heavy Duty Oil Stabilizer. I don't know if it was the Amsoil or the Lucas Oil additive but when I fired up my truck, it ticked 3 times and quiet! This is the quietest my truck has ever been! I often forget my truck even has the tick! Next oil change I will try the Amsoil by itself and see if it was the oil or if it was the stabilizer.

knaffie

Reaction score
I will say the same thing I did in the "oil preference" thread.

I starting off using synthetic 10w30 Motorcraft oil, truck ticked for the first 500ish miles then it was fairly quiet with the odd tick here and there. Usually started ticking again near time to change the oil.

Then used Rotella T6 5w40, truck never really stopped ticking but while driving even with the windows down it wasn't really noticeable even when stopped.

Then I tried Valvoline True Blue 5w40 synthetic and wow did my truck tick like crazy, even while curising through town with the windows down at slower speeds I could hear it ticking.

Then I tried Amsoil 5w30 Series 3000 full synthetic and a blob of Lucas Heavy Duty Oil Stabilizer. I don't know if it was the Amsoil or the Lucas Oil additive but when I fired up my truck, it ticked 3 times and quiet! This is the quietest my truck has ever been! I often forget my truck even has the tick! Next oil change I will try the Amsoil by itself and see if it was the oil or if it was the stabilizer.

Thanks for the info. Please let us know on the next change without the stabilizer. I have a hard time paying for Amsoil when its 2-3X the cost of other good synthetics, but if it keeps the tick away, it may be worth it.

Randy_270

Reaction score
Thanks for the info. Please let us know on the next change without the stabilizer. I have a hard time paying for Amsoil when its 2-3X the cost of other good synthetics, but if it keeps the tick away, it may be worth it.

That's how I feel, especially with it being $17 a quart here in Canada. But if that's what it cost to keep my truck quiet then that's what I'll pay.

I will report my findings.

dsmracing1

Reaction score
That's how I feel, especially with it being $17 a quart here in Canada. But if that's what it cost to keep my truck quiet then that's what I'll pay.

I will report my findings.

Got my oil changed tonight to Amsoil Synthetic 5W-40. We will see if I have any success with eliminating the tick. Talk to your local Amsoil dealer rep since I got a case of 4x1 gallon jugs for $9.33 a quart....

knaffie

Reaction score
Got my oil changed tonight to Amsoil Synthetic 5W-40. We will see if I have any success with eliminating the tick. Talk to your local Amsoil dealer rep since I got a case of 4x1 gallon jugs for $9.33 a quart....

You can usually get it online cheaper than from a dealer. You get 25% off everything if you do this. I try to have a membership every other year. Stock up, then don't buy anything for a year so the membership cost is 1/2.

**When you buy online, you still have to pay tax, and shipping, and the dealer gets a credit from Amsoil. You have to select a local dealer when you sign up for the membership.

http://www.amsoil.com/shop/by-product/buy-wholesale/preferred-customer-registration/

Last edited:
Reaction score
Had a 13 CCLB SRW F350 lariat 6.7 on our combine crew and it lightly ticked all the time. Never Once gave it a thought. I figure its a V8 diesel engine no matter the size or make of it every single one i've ever driven/operated/heard had some kind of tick, chatter, knock sound to it. Personally I love the 6.7 "tick", it reminds me that its still a diesel engine.

lincolnlocker

Reaction score
Had a 13 CCLB SRW F350 lariat 6.7 on our combine crew and it lightly ticked all the time. Never Once gave it a thought. I figure its a V8 diesel engine no matter the size or make of it every single one i've ever driven/operated/heard had some kind of tick, chatter, knock sound to it. Personally I love the 6.7 "tick", it reminds me that its still a diesel engine.
you are not hearing the right tick sound if you think it should have it.. all diesels have injector noise. this tick is anoying as hell and shouldnt be there.

live life full throttle

dsmracing1

Reaction score
You can usually get it online cheaper than from a dealer. You get 25% off everything if you do this. I try to have a membership every other year. Stock up, then don't buy anything for a year so the membership cost is 1/2.

**When you buy online, you still have to pay tax, and shipping, and the dealer gets a credit from Amsoil. You have to select a local dealer when you sign up for the membership.

http://www.amsoil.com/shop/by-product/buy-wholesale/preferred-customer-registration/

I have my own business so I get everything at wholesale right from his house. He only
Lives a few miles from me, which is very convenient. It makes a huge difference if you can get a business membership!

Randy_270

Reaction score

The closest Amsoil dealer to me is a Canadian Tire that is about 3 hours away and I don't think they regularly stock any of the Amsoil Diesel oils. After that, the next closest Amsoil dealer is about 11-12 hours away from me.

knaffie

Reaction score
The closest Amsoil dealer to me is a Canadian Tire that is about 3 hours away and I don't think they regularly stock any of the Amsoil Diesel oils. After that, the next closest Amsoil dealer is about 11-12 hours away from me.

They don't have shipping in Canada? :shrug: LOL

Randy_270

Reaction score
There most definately is shipping but why pay for it when I can stock up when I go visit my mom or in-laws and not have to pay shipping?

dsmracing1

Reaction score
the colder it gets the worse mine ticks when it does tick...

live life full throttle

I have to agree 100% with this statement. I changed to Amsoil as I mentioned earlier and fired it up in the garage and no tick at all so I was pumped. Truck sat overnight in the heated garage and no tick on fire up this morning too. Drove to work and the truck sat for 5 hours in -10F and when I fired it up it was ticking more then it ever has before with the Amsoil in it. Only drove about 30 miles so far though....

Sent from my iPad using Tapatalk

dsmracing1

Reaction score

That's too bad, I feel spoiled having a dealer so close. Red Deer is diesel central so I guess the market for Amsoil is pretty big. Peavey Mart sells it too at least in Red Deer...

Randy_270

Reaction score
I have to agree 100% with this statement. I changed to Amsoil as I mentioned earlier and fired it up in the garage and no tick at all so I was pumped. Truck sat overnight in the heated garage and no tick on fire up this morning too. Drove to work and the truck sat for 5 hours in -10F and when I fired it up it was ticking more then it ever has before with the Amsoil in it. Only drove about 30 miles so far though....

Fired my truck up Monday morning in -30C (-22F) unplugged because I forgot I had training and had to use my personal vehicle. Used command start, went out after about 15 minutes and the oil temp was already at +35C (95F). And on top of that, I didn't notice any ticking while flicking the snow off my wiper blades:)

That's too bad, I feel spoiled having a dealer so close. Red Deer is diesel central so I guess the market for Amsoil is pretty big. Peavey Mart sells it too at least in Red Deer...

The City that's 11-12 hours away from me is Winnipeg, not much there for diesel enthusiasts...

dsmracing1

Reaction score
Fired my truck up Monday morning in -30C (-22F) unplugged because I forgot I had training and had to use my personal vehicle. Used command start, went out after about 15 minutes and the oil temp was already at +35C (95F). And on top of that, I didn't notice any ticking while flicking the snow off my wiper blades:)

The City that's 11-12 hours away from me is Winnipeg, not much there for diesel enthusiasts...

Damn hey, that's a good drive for sure! I'm gonna try the truck tomorrow and see if the tick goes away. Might try an additive too...

Randy_270

Reaction score
Bumping this thread.

Cold start, truck had been running about 10 minutes
th_IMG_1137_zpsaedqhxg1.jpg

Truck is up to temperature in this video
th_IMG_1138_zpstloqgstn.jpg

Latest posts