Fan Clutch?? Loud fan noise...Help!

Alex340

Reaction score
So Monday of this week I started noticing a loud "fan" noise coming from under the hood when driving my truck. Only when the truck was warmed up. Everytime you press the gas pedal or accelerate it made the noise. At the same time my Temp gauge would completely drop out and give no reading. Once I sat at an idle or put the truck in park for about a minute the gauge would come back to a normal reading.

Local shop said it was the fan clutch. Said my last one was completely shot. So I get a new one installed and pick up the truck this evening. About an hour later and only 30min of driving the truck the Temp gauge is not reading at all and the fan noise is back but seems to be worse.

Is it the fan clutch going out again?? Or something out perhaps going out now?
I have no idea where to start. Coolant is fine and full. Reads normal temp. Oil temp is fine as well.

6.0 Tech

Reaction score
Hiw are you reading temps? It sounds like youve got a temp sensor dropping out and causing yhe pcm to see a huge tempd difference, thereby turning the fan on. It could be sensor, wiring or air pockets in the coolant. I had an issue with one of my pcm connectors having a cracked hardshell and turning the fan on a lot, i replaced the hardshell with on from anothe harness and its all good now.

Alex340

Reaction score
Hiw are you reading temps? It sounds like youve got a temp sensor dropping out and causing yhe pcm to see a huge tempd difference, thereby turning the fan on. It could be sensor, wiring or air pockets in the coolant. I had an issue with one of my pcm connectors having a cracked hardshell and turning the fan on a lot, i replaced the hardshell with on from anothe harness and its all good now.

Just reading the Temp gauge whenever it decides to come back on. I don't think it's air pockets cause he let the truck run for an hour or two after fixing it and putting it all back together. I think you're right about the sensor going bad. But I'll check the PCM as well to make sure it's good with all the connections.

Latest posts

Members online