Fan Stator Delete

Rob D

Reaction score
How many guys have done this. Slipped off the step ladder pulling the EGR up pipe off last night and cracked the chit out of the top of it so I am thinking just delete it and gain clearance for belt service, fuel lines etc. Stumbled accross one thread where guys were pro and con of this mod...seems like those who have deleted it have not seen any ramifications what so ever on the cooling system efficiency.

Mdub707

Reaction score
Are you looking to get rid of the fan clutch and fan assembly and put in an electrical unit or?

Dalton_H

Reaction score
No he's just talking about that black plastic piece that sits behind the fan and is bolted to the front of the motor. Ive done them on every truck I've had and never seen any negative effects. Plus i can change a belt in a matter of minutes with it out of the way.

Zmann

Reaction score
the belt lifespan is what 100,000 mile I can't see leaving it off for access to the belt :lookaround:

sure it's easier to not put it back on but I always spend the time why you ask ?

Ford must have spent the money for a reason . what reason you ask ? hell I don't know LOL water deflection ? sound? air diversion? safety?

also I don't want someone looking under the hood and thinking I took short cuts:shrug:

that being said plenty of folks leave them off and if I broke mine I would evaluate running out and buying a new one:toast:

Rob D

Reaction score
Ya I am only contemplating removing it bc I broke it and don't want to pony up $320 bucks for a piece of plastic that seems to me to be there just for safety reasons. If I didn't bust it I wouldn't worry about removing it.

EDIT: I just looked up the parts catalog on Fords website and looks like the part I busted is No. 19E672 and can be replaced by itself. I didn't spend a lot of time looking at it - just figured it was attached to the stator as it is behind the rest of the shroud.

shroud2.png

shroud.png

Last edited:

Atsah

Reaction score
One of the things the stator shroud does is directs air over the oilcooler, and the alternator. IMO, that piece of plastic should remain on the truck..

$320 is crazy for that piece but I wouldn't delete it..

jdc753

Reaction score
It's not really much of a structural piece, and not much for consmetics either, I would rather plastic weld it then pay that money for a new one.

weazel

Reaction score
Mine has been off for 3 years, I don't appear to have any cooling issues,

Sent from my fortress of awesome

Mdub707

Reaction score
Ok, so it's only the small upper piece that's broke? I'd remove it. Mine has been gone for a couple of years when I broke it and never replaced it. My fan doesn't even ever come on unless I was really low on coolant. Since doing studs/gaskets and the whole shebang, the fan hasn't come back on since and EOT and ECT are within check, even towing my camper in the summer time.

Zmann

Reaction score
the fan hasn't come back on since and EOT and ECT are within check,

I'm sure your fan comes on it's just not 100% so your not hearing the noise of the fan it at partial lock up of the viscous electric clutch vs fully commanded by the PCM

Mdub707

Reaction score
I'm sure your fan comes on it's just not 100% so your not hearing the noise of the fan it at partial lock up of the viscous electric clutch vs fully commanded by the PCM

Well, it's always spinning obviously, but I could probably grab it with my hand and stop it LOL

Zmann

Reaction score
what i was getting at is while the fan is always spinning it's not spinning at the same rpm's as the water pump pulley unless the pcm tells it to via an electrical signal that heats fluid and locks up the clutch however the amount it locks up is also controlled and the pcm knows what rpm the fan is spinning at via a sensor ( like slipping a manual trany clutch )

so your fan does come on and you would only want to stop it with your hand first thing in the morning (if ever LOL)

Atsah

Reaction score
Them clutch fans on the Ford's are a POS... Every truck I owned I replaced it at least twice..

jdc753

Reaction score
Zmann, that reminds me of the Bill Engvall sketch about stupid people with the warning label for replacing the fan belt.

Warning: Make sure you stop the motor first before attempting to replace belt

Wouldn't you like to be there the first time that happened. Well Walt what happened to your hands?

I'll tell you what, you gotta turn that engine off before changing the belt. You can't stop it with your hands, it's like a damn machine or something.

As for that little plastic piece it has been missing off my truck for at least 3 years now. Never noticed any adverse issues. I should probably put it back on just because I am tired of moving it around in the shed.