Fantastic, White Smoke

Fordguy100

Reaction score
The wife sent me some texts this morning telling me the excursion was white smoking. After it started (no stiction, outside temp 55-60*) she started driving. Said she got about half a block and noticed it was putting out a lot of white smoke, enough that it came and went up and past the front windows.

She got out, smelled the exhaust, and said it smelled normal. She has seen a PSD with bad headgaskets (OBS, Jarrod B's), but said the smoke didnt linger like that. By the time she turned around to come back and get a Jetta, is was gone, so she drove to work. She said it wasn't running rough, and was acting perfectly normal, besides the smoke.

My guess would be coolant, but she said it smelled normal? But then again, with a lot of white smoke (unburnt diesel) it would certainly burn your nose or at least give it a good tickle.

Ex has 175K miles, Oasis shows a couple injectors replaced a long time ago. Non EGR delete. Delta's 9-12* @ 70-75mph 70-100* Ambient temp. Has stiction below 50*. Gets OK fuel mileage (19mpg at 70-73mph)

I'll go out and look at the coolant level tonight, and watch it start tommorow. I was planning an EGR delete come January...might get way more than that though now that this is happening. Never happens at the right (financial) time I tell ya!

:ford:

Gary

Reaction score
Yea it looks like the EGR cooler cooler it busted. its NOT a good idea to drive it, you can hydro-lock it. You can jack up the rear end and pull the EGR valve, then look for coolant in there. You could also pressurize the radiator that will help to find the leak.

rray37375

Reaction score
Cracked EGR cooler
Yup. Don't drive it anymore. Put it on a flatbed and take it to a diesel shop or roll it in the garage.

The spend-o-meter is pegging on my repair since my truck experienced the same symptoms. The EGR cooler cracked because the oil cooler clogged. So I have to replace the EGR cooler (registration requires a smog check every year, so no delete for me) oil cooler, and since all that work is getting done, ARP head studs, new head gaskets, and since four of the injectors were only putting out 50 percent, all of the injectors are being replaced. The exhaust is being upgraded to a four inch turbo back system, and I'm also adding an external transmission filter from DieselSite to go with the DieselSite coolant filter I added two years ago. If I had added that coolant filter when I bought the truck new I probably would not have to spend the money I'm spending now. If you don't have a coolant filter, I recommend one highly.

You may not have that kind of expenditure, but when you open up one of these engines expect Pandora's box. Of course when you remove all of the POS stuff and replace it with hardened replacements, your 6.0 will be darn near bulletproof.

Fromojo

Reaction score
If it's not your EGR Cooler, your turbo is leaking oil into the exhaust.

Coolant smoke should vaporize quickly than burned oil that lingers and smells like diesel exhaust.

Jbenso127

Reaction score
If it's not your EGR Cooler, your turbo is leaking oil into the exhaust.

Coolant smoke should vaporize quickly than burned oil that lingers and smells like diesel exhaust.

Yes, i was getting a heavy white smoke and after some inspection.. the turbos had let loose on the exhaust side :cursing:

Jeremyleggett07

Reaction score
Actually every EGR cooler I've known to go bad, including mine, had heavy white smoke even during acceleration. When the turbo seals let lose te white smoke puffs from a dead stop but hazes away during acceleration once burned through. Even when warm it will puff clouds from a stop, which mine is doin now as well! Lmao

Fordguy100

Reaction score
I'm going to give it a look over tommorow. By the time she drove the distance of 2-3 blocks, it was fine (no smoke) and no exhaust smell. No smoke after that, and none as she drove home. I'm wondering if she was imagining things LOL

...But...if I remember correctly the previous coolant level...its down 1/2-1".

Jbenso127

Reaction score
Actually every EGR cooler I've known to go bad, including mine, had heavy white smoke even during acceleration. When the turbo seals let lose te white smoke puffs from a dead stop but hazes away during acceleration once burned through. Even when warm it will puff clouds from a stop, which mine is doin now as well! Lmao

Lol Yeah Ive seen them do that as well.. unfortunately, mine smoked heavily, constantly and was dripping out of the exhaust lol.. Wonderful DPFs and regens. Factory turbos and DPF at 160k before any problems though! Now fully deleted with Towpowers.

Fordguy100

Reaction score
Going to pull the EGR valve tommorow and give it a look see. If its bad, I havent decided if I will just put a EGR delete in it or send it off to get some love. Dont really have the money for all of that though...and my labor is free so I might start off with the EGR delete and throw a pressure gauge on the coolant system.

Fordguy100

Reaction score
-BCC7-4885-BAA5-21ADA499D330-2890-000006039BBB35BD.jpg

Hard to tell but exhaust side is ooeey gooey and same in intake. EGR cooler is bad. Sucks cause deltas never went over 15*, usually 9-12*.

I feel like Randy
http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=mqUUlBwtKNs&feature=youtube_gdata_player

Was putting off en EGR delete till January but it looks like it's happening next weekend. Wanted to do a oil cooler flush but I guess that's not happening.

Last edited:

Jarrod B

Reaction score
told ya lol....sp clip is funny LOL

just egr delete that um ex and you should be gtg. well at least for now lol.

or clean that valve real good and use it till the delete comes.

Fordguy100

Reaction score
Well it should be here by next weekend, but I dont know if I will get around to doing anything with it since its Mary's birthday. Might start pulling stuff off this week in preperation of it though.

Latest posts

Members online

No members online now.