Faster Spool

TXAG07

Reaction score
My truck is dang near perfect the way it is, but if I could change anything, I'd like a little faster spool up/decrease turbo lag from a stop. Mainly would like some help getting the big rig out of the way of heavy traffic in the metroplex. So I'm open to suggestions here. I'm always up for more power, but my truck has plenty as it is for me and I'm doing this because I like to tinker with my truck like all of us do. Not wanting to break the bank either. I know my 37s might hurt me, but I like what I have tire/suspension wise so that is staying.

Thoughts:

Tuning: Currently have GH tunes and love them. I assume Matt could make changes to low boost fooling which could help, but I feel they've probably done everything necessary there to make the best use of extra fuel down low and not produce excessive smoke. I did buy a used S****N to play around with what they have going on right now.

Turbos: I like my stock VGT and Elite 72. Any additions I could make here? I hear High Powers are the best for spool, but don't want to spend that kind of dough. Would a vgt or atmo swap from the High Power setup be a good addition? Wouldn't replacing my stock VGT with a 59 just hurt me?

Fuel: Really don't want to get into that game, but not totally against it. Assume 15% with stock system could help things, and pretty sure 30% and dual pumps would make a difference.

Minor tranny Upgrades?

I know gearing might help, but the combo I have seems to work well for my type of driving.

Let me know your thoughts.

Six_Sloww

Reaction score
you have a quick spooling turbo setup, best bang for your buck would be gears.. 4.10 or 4.30's for those tires

A good torque converter would also help

I would think a 1600 stall precision but maybe someone with more experience could chime in

Black AOD

Reaction score
Ported Intake Manifold.

59mm VGT High Pressure.

A better Converter with a stall between 1800-2200.

My Last setup before I gave into peer pressure was a built motor and trans with stock fuel and Elite Tow Power Plus which are a 72/59 workstock pair. Spool up for a stock fuel truck was impressive to say the least. I also had a No Limit CAI and a RCD ported Intake Manifold which I still have.

I say for your case, add an Elite Zmax Intake Mani, pick up a 59mm VGT and pick up a converter and talk with whomever about what stall speed you'd like. You having 37's affects it a little.

Six Sloww has a good point about gearing too. 4.10s or MAYBE 4.30s would help you out getting off the line.

sootie

Reaction score
First choice is built trans with a tight converter. This goes against logic but my truck was way faster out of the hole with 1600 stall precision than with the stock 1900 stall.

my secondt choice would be gears.

a 59mm is not going to spool as fast as stock unless you do a cam also-that would be my third choice to do those together.

Black AOD

Reaction score
First choice is built trans with a tight converter. This goes against logic but my truck was way faster out of the hole with 1600 stall precision than with the stock 1900 stall.

a 59mm is not going to spool as fast as stock unless you do a cam also-that would be my third choice to do those together.

He's right about that third comment...I forget mine has a cam...My Bad

ckrueg

Reaction score

I think it has to do with loading down the engine more. I always felt the least lag/best response with the converter locked vs unlocked. Not exactly the same but similar idea.

Sent from my SM-G930V using Tapatalk

TXAG07

Reaction score
Thanks for all the responses so far men. My thoughts on what we got so far:

Gears: Would def help, but cruising rpm's are pretty sweet where they are at. If I can't come up with anything else that is an upgrade for the truck then I'll look into that. If not, whenever it's time for some needed axle service, might address.

Turbos: Yeah figured what I have is pretty good. Do agree that 59 wouldn't help me out with spool. The manifold in theory sounds good. If I were replacing turbo's or doing something else, then might be worth the time and effort, but not sure on just the swap.

Trans: Like the idea of doing upgrades here. Will do a built trans whenever this once breaks, but if I could do a converter to help, and have it for the future build, that would be sweet. I do a lot of stop light to stop light driving. Would the 1600 stall be a burden in any way there or would it be perfect? Are other tranny mods a must to take advantage of the converter upgrade?

6fodays- I like it. So just leave the bottle on at all times during the daily grind? :D

Really appreciate it guys. Keep'em comin.

sootie

Reaction score
don`t waste the time doing just a converter. Because a new triple disc will be tight and not slip, the next weakest link is the direct clutches which will take the slip and eventually burn up. When those burn up, the material will trash your converter. Do it once, right.

And yes-1600 is awesome for everything. it helps most in stoplight to stoplight. Your truck will actually feel more powerful because it is transmitting what power you do have, to the ground better.

capt dong

Reaction score
I have my lbf at 0. Seemed gutless and then i got an intercooler. Gave me a lot more punch down low. Dunno how difference it will make for you.

NathannialD

Reaction score
you have a quick spooling turbo setup, best bang for your buck would be gears.. 4.10 or 4.30's for those tires

A good torque converter would also help

I would think a 1600 stall precision but maybe someone with more experience could chime in

i agree here, gears would make a huge improvement. i was thinking converter as well but that really is a band aid to the actual problem of the wrong gears for the tires being run.

Rubenk

Reaction score
Get different tunes. Mine was gutless down low with GH too. It is too aggressive on the low-boost-fueling IMO. It isnt dirty by any means now, but actually gets down when I want it to get down!

TXAG07

Reaction score
Get different tunes. Mine was gutless down low with GH too. It is too aggressive on the low-boost-fueling IMO. It isnt dirty by any means now, but actually gets down when I want it to get down!

What do you mean by different tunes? You get MATT to mod yours or did you do something different? PM me if need be.

TXAG07

Reaction score
don`t waste the time doing just a converter. Because a new triple disc will be tight and not slip, the next weakest link is the direct clutches which will take the slip and eventually burn up. When those burn up, the material will trash your converter. Do it once, right.

And yes-1600 is awesome for everything. it helps most in stoplight to stoplight. Your truck will actually feel more powerful because it is transmitting what power you do have, to the ground better.

Thanks Sootie. Kind of what I figured. Will hold off on this until funds allow or it's needed then I'll give Morgan a call.

TXAG07

Reaction score
I have my lbf at 0. Seemed gutless and then i got an intercooler. Gave me a lot more punch down low. Dunno how difference it will make for you.

Thanks for reply Capt. Interested in this. Just read JD's thread where he did testing on the Alradco IC which produced good results. Did not have any spool up data, put there no way it could hurt. Would be easy to do too. Anybody else have input with a IC change?

Rubenk

Reaction score
What do you mean by different tunes? You get MATT to mod yours or did you do something different? PM me if need be.

GH-Matt is conservative with the down low fueling is all i'm saying. He likes a totally smoke free tune, which I totally understand. But it takes a little fuel to get things moving.

I now run tunes from Tyrant and Midwest and am very happy with both.

TXAG07

Reaction score
GH-Matt is conservative with the down low fueling is all i'm saying. He likes a totally smoke free tune, which I totally understand. But it takes a little fuel to get things moving.

10-4. Thank you for the info sir. I figured something could be done there. I'm going to try the Sp****n tunes, see how they do, then with the release of their new software, I should be able to adjust lbf on my own and see what that does for me. If no luck there, I'll give the guys you mentioned a shot.

Pan4905

Reaction score

I too had this same opinion about gh. Had a few revisions done but was never happy. Now running tunes from ppei and really like them.

Latest posts

Members online