Favorite 6.4 Pouring oil...HELP Please

raleighstroke

Reaction score
New to forum folks so bear with me. :fustrate: I have a 2008 6.4 king ranch 200k miles. I was about to service it this weekend and right before I did pulling out of the driveway with a cold engine I got a low oil pressure can light and I heard a something that sounded like a faint siren up and down as I let out or got into the throttle. I backed up to flat ground and shut it down. I cranked it back up got the same light and let it warm up. After warming up exhaust started smoking a white/blue hard to decide which one. I decided to pull back in the driveway and park it. After this I noticed a large oil puddle where I had been sitting to let it warm up, maybe 1/2 a quart. Loaded it up with oil dye that night and waited. Could not really see much dye with the black light. But the oil did not start pouring out again until it go up to operating temp. This time I got the same oil can light, reduced power message and a P2463 message. The oil stream is coming down the passenger side off where the transmission meets the engine. Up top it looks like it is starting on the back side of the left turbo below the exhaust connection. There is a lot of oil on top of the heat shield for the HPFP. Any help with this would be appreciated. I cant pin point exactly where the oil leak is coming from. Plan to pull it apart but would like to get some parts on the way before I do. Any idea? Blown Turbo? Return Line Seals? (PS coolant holding steady, no ******s of any kind.) Thanks for any help

sootie

Reaction score
sounds like a turbo seal or turbo drain issue. Pull your intake off and check in/out shaft play on the turbo.

raleighstroke

Reaction score
not familiar with turbo drain? so i pulled the intake and no shaft play left to right or in and out. spins fine. I removed the heat shield so you can see where it appears to be originating. check out the pictures and let me know what you think...I dont know why they uploaded sideways...really appreciate the response...

raleighstroke

Reaction score
IMG_1046.jpg

78f100

Reaction score
Yes. It is in the center section of the turbo. It looks like that is your problem to me also, use caution running it like that, if the oil comes through the compressor side the engine will run away on its own oil. Turbos have came down a lot for these trucks, with 200k on them I would replace both.

raleighstroke

Reaction score
I only ran it for maybe 15 minutes at idel total after I heard the problem trying to detect leak orgin. So fully replacing both turbos is my best bet? :axe: so when you say center section are you talking about the center between the two trubos or the inside center of the low pressure?

raleighstroke

Reaction score
Also while I am in here replacing this turbo should I be ******** some things? I am a stock kind of guy but while I am in there if some stuff needs to be done I would assume now is the time

sootie

Reaction score
I had a random thought...could that oil be coming out of your ccv? By chance, take your oil fill cap off when it is idling and tell us what the smoke looks like.

If you need turbos...I have a set of 85k mile stockers that I would let go for a good price. PM me if interested.

raleighstroke

Reaction score
Not familiar with CCV. I have taken enough stuff off at this point that cranking it without re assembly is a no go. Any way to know 100% it's the turbo seal before I throw a new turbo on?

raleighstroke

Reaction score
PowerstrokeArmy is awesome for those that do not already know. I took the down pipe loose and full of oil probably 3/8" thick sludge. I also heard from a tech I talked to today to check the intercooler and make sure it was not holding a lot of oil. It was not just a drop or two FYI. So based on all this I am assuming that the low pressure turbo seal is shot even with no play....like most I am trying to keep this on the cheap, I know diesel and cheap do not go together but budgets are what they are. Is a rebuild an option? Should I be doing both turbos or can I get by with just the low pressure....thank you in advance...
>

Latest posts

Members online