FICM Pigtails, Dumb Question

wetnsloppy4x

Reaction score
Anyone have any tips/tricks on getting the FICM pigtails fully seated? I have one that is being a real bitch. No bent pins or anything, it just won't quite clip in.

I feel like a total tard asking this.

DEEZUZ

NO PUKESTERS
Reaction score
Are the plastic tabs that lock still in tact? Sometimes I rock them back and forward and they snap in.

wetnsloppy4x

Reaction score
Yup, both locking tabs are still there. I just tried it again and thought I head a "click". But nope, it will wiggle right back out. I've even lubed the sides of the plug with dilectric grease in an attempt to get things to slide together easier. That helps but is just wont catch.

I'll have to spend some more time rocking it back and forward like you described when I get back out there. Thanks for the reply!

DEEZUZ

NO PUKESTERS
Reaction score
the tabs might be too far spread out and not locking in... meaning if you touch them, they'll break... if they break, just zip-tie the plugs in

wetnsloppy4x

Reaction score
I've fugged with this thing too much. Damn thing does NOT want to grab. Zip ties it is.

Thanks for the idea guys!

Mdub707

Reaction score
I've probably swapped nearly 100 FICM's on and off my truck. Sometimes you can hear them click, other times you can't, but it still locks in. Just need to wiggle it once it's in there. Sometimes the only way to tell its full seated is pulling on it and see if I can pull it back off again. A lot of times the big one is hard to get on, and I think it's on, but when I pull it slides off again, really have to mess with that one.

wetnsloppy4x

Reaction score
Thats the one I'm having trouble with. It clicked for me once, or so I thought, but it wiggles right back off. I've probably spent an hour all together trying to get this thing seated. Like I said, I feel like a tard even asking about this. I used to do this stuff for a living, albeit very little diesel work, and have never had this much trouble getting a simple pigtail to seat unless it was fubared. Mine appears to be in good shape, but just wont quite grab. The other two went in just fine.:shrug:

Mdub707

Reaction score
FWIW I never really can hear that big one actually snap, but it does seat with some wiggle.

Sent from my SPH-D710 using Tapatalk

Mdub707

Reaction score
Depends on the year truck too, the 03 and early 04's seem to have a snap on each side of the plug, later year trucks the harness only has a snap on one side too.

wetnsloppy4x

Reaction score
I gave mine the finger for now. I think I'm going to have to pull it back off soon anyways. AE tells me it's not happy anymore. It was dropping before I pulled my truck apart, now it's off the AE scale. Strange, considering my truck runs like a scalded dog now with the PMax and GoGo intake despite a leaky ass up pipe that won't seal to save it's life. Not impressed with that at all.:mad:

Mdub707

Reaction score
Even with bad FICM's they usually run OK once warmed up, but man it sure makes starting a lot easier.

Mdub707

Reaction score
I have a couple FICM's on my shelf that have been repaired and are reading 48V under all conditions, but the truck starts like absolute dog crap. Barely even runs at first.

Mdub707

Reaction score
No its definitely the ficm's. Swapped a different ficm on and it went away. I was just letting you know that even if they read proper voltage they can still be faulty.

Sent from my SPH-D710 using Tapatalk 2

wetnsloppy4x

Reaction score
No its definitely the ficm's. Swapped a different ficm on and it went away. I was just letting you know that even if they read proper voltage they can still be faulty.

Sent from my SPH-D710 using Tapatalk 2
OK I get what you're saying now.

Latest posts

Members online

No members online now.