FICM question

Oh3sixspeed

Reaction score
So after some testing I found my FICM to only be producing 33v. The only thing I really know is that I for sure want to go with a 58v unit, but I'm not sure what to go with. I like the idea of the bulletproof halfshell, but is it really worth the extra money? If I go with a swamps unit, I would consider buying with PHP tuning, but how much difference am I going to notice, and what tuning is best?

Cold Roller

Reaction score
Stock or better. It all depends on what you want to do. If you stay stock injectors, the FICM tune will help to a greater degree. You will notice.

sleeps

Reaction score
If you plan on going bigger nozzles than stock dont get the ficm tunimg unless its one od the handheld ones you can chAnge the tune back. Some trucks dont like the ficm tunes with larger nozzles. I have 100%'s and although im waiting on a custom tune, all it did was smoke more.

Just not something i would do that i didnt have the option of changing the tune around in case it didnt run right ir smoked too much.

onebadcoastie

Reaction score
BPD also offers the whole assembly. The other thing with BPD's 58v setup is that it is 6-phase. It has redundant features built in so if there is a problem within in the circuitry, it is still functional as it has its own built in backup. Their warranties and customer service are top notch as well. Check them out:

http://www.bulletproofdiesel.com/Bullet_Proof_Diesel_FICM_s/137.html

Dave

Reaction score
Love my BPD ficm

Sent from my SCH-I925 using Tapatalk

djberg

Reaction score
i'm running a stock ficm, but i did add a php gyphoon last weekend, and was it worth the extra $400? oh my god yes! though i drive a stick so i dont know what the difference would be in an auto, i've never driven one. only watched vids of autos and read about where they shift and all. i wanted to add bottom and that it definitely did especially stacked with other tunes. but i would buy the programmer separate, for the options of power, and like others have stated, with bigger nozzles, you may want to go back down to stock ficm tuning.

Oh3sixspeed

Reaction score
Thanks guys. I think I have decided that i'm going to just do stock tuning for now, and bulletproof sound like a more reliable piece. I'm still wondering though, if my logic board is good, is there a reason to spend the extra money to get the logic board with it, or will a halfshell do me just fine?

And as a side note mine is a ZF truck as well...

Mdub707

Reaction score
I'd stick with rebuilding your current one back to 48V and then tune it, if you want. A half shell will be just fine. You can get the OEM halfshells for under $200 at International as well. The BPD units are very nice though.

Chatham036

Reaction score
I have a BPD half shell on my truck and like it. Only reason I forked out the extra cash for it was because it offered the 'feel good' feeling that it will not fail again which some of the rebuilt units do.

If I can help answer any questions about our FICM tuning, please feel free to shoot me a PM.

Thank you
Jay

Mdub707

Reaction score
Anything made by man can and will fail. Even the OEM Ford FICM's have redundant circuits...

onebadcoastie

Reaction score
Jay,

The BPD units have failed in the past. As a matter of fact, the one installed on my truck was sent back, fixed and sent to me. One of the guys from the org had his fail on him as well. It's a matter of how the company handles it but they are setup to be as fail proof as possible. In the case of the two I'm aware of, there were some install errors of some really little critical components.

I second Mike's statement; anything can and will fail.

Cold Roller

Reaction score
^^^ It probably couldn't take all the idling while watching the bears or whales go by! Or was it the drags to 25mph while crossing town.:pointlaugh:

Extended Power

Reaction score
I have had Swamp's 58 volt FICM that I bought from Danny years ago.
It hasn't given me any grief at all.

Oh3sixspeed

Reaction score
Thanks to all for the responses. I guess my factory one has made it 160k, so I don't suppose thats a horrible life span. I just liked the idea of at least going with a 58 volt unit. Am I off the mark with that, I mean thats just always what I thought was the way to go. If so, are there any other options that might be a little more bang for your buck, but still offer the customer service and reliability?

Mdub707

Reaction score
If you decide to go with something else or a half shell from BPD or whatever... I'd be interested in buying your current FICM/1/2 shell whatever you want to sell.

Jeremyleggett07

Reaction score
Question I'm running a 58v FICM stock injectors with out any issues....I keep hearing 58v FICM is horrible on injector life and the board will melt...any truth... My understanding 58v is better for them...

Latest posts

Members online