filter minder/ air filter games

Ipkyss

Reaction score
So as I was bored in the garage today. I was toying around with ideas to solve my restrictive S&B air filter problem.

While I was sitting there, I walked out to my 2010 6.4 and pulled the filter minder out of it, then put it in my truck. Went for a ride. It didn't pull it in enough to turn the light on, but very close. Where as my original would turn the light on before 40 psi boost. So that would be the reason a lot of people don't have issue with newer trucks as they have a different filter minder part number. Obviously thats not a fix, just a cover up. So I put my original back in.

Started to mix and match parts that I had sitting around. Used the S&B elbow, factory air box with the top off, And a stock replacement filter from www.greenfilterusa.com that was slightly dirty. Now mine is actually an original green one from over 2 years ago and was only $65. Now they seem to have an updated part number and its $100. No idea if there is a difference or not.

Took the truck for another spin. First thing I noticed was the turbos were greatly louder then with the S&B intake, to the point that I thought the filter fell off so I pulled over to check it. Much more responsive, And a noticeable gain in power over 40 psi of boost. It seemed like power would not increase as much above 40psi previously. Also picked up another 3psi so I am at 58lbs now. Pulled back in the garage. Not only did the light not come on, The filter minder did not move 1/16 of an inch.

So my pile of miss matched parts seems to be working extremely well. I would like to think that to make a noticeable difference, it has to be at least a 20hp gain.

Now I just need to go modify the top of the air box so that it retains the filter and still lets air in.

It won't work for people that are all about looks, But I like simple, stock appearing, and what works. And on the plus side, if I ever had an issue, I could pick up a filter at any part store.

tbsimmons

Reaction score
I still run a AFE drop in and works alright. I have just started to pull hte filter minder in to about 50% here recently dont know why other than boost has gone up a little also. I hit over 50 with stock turbos towing the fiver.

bigrpowr

<How I Fly
Administrator
Reaction score
Elite did a test with mine and the AFE upgrade they offer, mine made 11hp more.

cool test though. i know wayne had started swapping all of our minders to the upgraded 2010 version as well.

Jeff@Spartan

Reaction score
Elite did a test with mine and the AFE upgrade they offer, mine made 11hp more.

cool test though. i know wayne had started swapping all of our minders to the upgraded 2010 version as well.

With your intake, my original 08 filter minder worked fine. That says a lot right there because it would suck in every 1/2 throttle or more pull with my AFE stage 2 intake.

Ipkyss

Reaction score
My truck has always seemed to be a little on the high side for boost. This is also running the Spartan 300 tune which other than shifting and a better throttle feel I can not tell a difference power wise to the 310.

I really feel like swapping to the newer filter minder is like putting bondo over rust. It looks better, but you didn't solve the issue.

The inside diameter of the S&B elbow is 72mm, I think the stock one is only 64mm or so.

The replacement stock drop in really is a huge filter. I would say it has at least double, if not more the surface area of the S&B. I will run it for a while, If it doesn't work out. I will go for the No limit set up.

bigrpowr

<How I Fly
Administrator
Reaction score
Something is seriously wrong with my truck then. I can barely break 50 psi with the tow x's

nah ..boost is merely a measure of restrction. my silver truck made 750 at 50 psi .

Ipkyss

Reaction score
nah ..boost is merely a measure of restrction. my silver truck made 750 at 50 psi .

exactly. Now I just need to figure out the next restriction. Should either be the stock HP turbo or the intake manifold

bigrpowr

<How I Fly
Administrator
Reaction score
exactly. Now I just need to figure out the next restriction. Should either be the stock HP turbo or the intake manifold

its for sure the manifold, prolly a combo of both. if you put a gauge on the atmo, you can see what makes what, that helps in knowing whats it being driven harder. gate between to manipulate.

Ipkyss

Reaction score
I had a gate and removed it. There was either an issue with the gate itself or something on my end tuning. But I never got it to work right. I may give it another shot. My back pressure is fine on the 250 and down tunes. But 275 and up its still 85+. Which has been going on for a long time now with no catistrophic issues.

sootie

Reaction score
i only see 52 psi with EDE 71mm but i have all the no limit goodies and a ported intake manifold. i also have a wastegate but i dont think it ever opens. seeing 72 ebp on mini maxx

madman1234509

Reaction score
I havent looked in a long time but can you just take the stock air box off and attach an aftermarket cone style filter to the stock elbow?

Or like with your drop in filter can you take the bottom portion of the airbox out?. If you can remove the scoop and or drill a couple 1-2" holes in the bottom of the box it might help too.

gman1

Reaction score
I havent looked in a long time but can you just take the stock air box off and attach an aftermarket cone style filter to the stock elbow?

Or like with your drop in filter can you take the bottom portion of the airbox out?. If you can remove the scoop and or drill a couple 1-2" holes in the bottom of the box it might help too.

You can remove the bottom portion of your S&b intake and use the same filter the No Limit intake uses. You will also have to remove a portion of the intake horn that protrudes into the engine bay (I removed mine completely). Its a tight fit but it will work.

Ipkyss

Reaction score
You can remove the bottom portion of your S&b intake and use the same filter the No Limit intake uses. You will also have to remove a portion of the intake horn that protrudes into the engine bay (I removed mine completely). Its a tight fit but it will work.

I was thinking about doing this. But seeing as what I did is working extremely well and stock appearing. I really like it. I left the bottom stock, and cut most of the top off. I probably could have just left the top off all together, but I was worried the filter may fall out after a while. So I left just enough of the factory top to lock it into place.

I do have all the airflow upgrades. Intercooler, cold side pipe, intake elbow, down pipe, ect. Just not the ported manifold. I think my next step is going to be a ported manifold, 59mm high pressure and something larger for the low pressure. Just waiting for someone to chime in with some decent towing miles to show the reliability of the larger stock housing low pressure turbos.

Ipkyss

Reaction score
i only see 52 psi with EDE 71mm but i have all the no limit goodies and a ported intake manifold. i also have a wastegate but i dont think it ever opens. seeing 72 ebp on mini maxx

If you are only seeing 72psi ebp I would say your wastegate is working just perfect. I am 85psi+ with larger tunes. And I think the sensor only reads to 86.xxx. Tunes change the boost too. Like I said. My truck has always seemed to be higher than normal for boost. Which doesn't help back pressure either.

Latest posts

Members online