Finally going to do it! One "Monster" build, coming up.

imelmo

Reaction score
I'm watching - long term high power output has been a subject of discussion around me as of late for various projects..... It can be done I think, but more attention needs to be paid to cooling and lubrication that most do. I'll be interested to see how this manifests itself.

Well Audi does it. :D

Dmstrucks02

Reaction score
I'm watching - long term high power output has been a subject of discussion around me as of late for various projects..... It can be done I think, but more attention needs to be paid to cooling and lubrication that most do. I'll be interested to see how this manifests itself.
I was thinking about this as well
This will be an interesting project for sure

kyle43335

In the Brig (Banned)
Reaction score
The headgaskets looked like that in my old crew cab. A season of sled pulls knowing the gaskets were blown, causing the heads to beat the gaskets to death. Awas like a cookie cutter, and knocked out a bunch of port shaped gasket chunks

Power Hungry

Reaction score
The headgaskets looked like that in my old crew cab. A season of sled pulls knowing the gaskets were blown, causing the heads to beat the gaskets to death. Awas like a cookie cutter, and knocked out a bunch of port shaped gasket chunks

That's about where we were on this. I drove the truck almost a year with the gaskets leaking. Fortunately, I was blowing compression into the cooling system and not actually passing coolant into the oil or cylinders. Yeah, not bright, but I knew I was going to be tearing it completely down so I really didn't care.

Anyway....

I apologize for the lack of movement on this. We spent the last couple weeks getting our manufacturing and shop spaces organized and had a number of things to get cleared up. This has caused us some regrettable delay on the project, although we are finally moving forward. :D

Anyway, as Jeremy indicated, the engine has been dropped off at the machine shop to get things underway. Decked, Fire-Ringed, Machined Pistons, Ported Heads, Twin Turbos, Dry Sump, and a couple other top-secret goodies that should make for an interesting setup. Still investigating injectors, HPO setups, intercooling options... All sorts of fun stuff. And that's just the engine work. There's a large amount of frame work (relocated engine), body work (roll cage, 5 point harness), suspension work (bags, notched frame, 4-link, narrowed axle), transmission selection (thinking Manual Trans, given the HP we anticipate), and other considerations that needs to be addressed as well.

Unfortunately, I already know that we are not going to be making our deadline. I am going in for surgery tomorrow for a torn rotator cuff and will be physically out of commission for at least several weeks. :p We're hoping that once the engine is back together and in frame, we can start massaging the frame and body as needed. The rest should be pretty straightforward.

I appreciate everyone's interest and sincerely apologize for the delay. We are all excited to move forward with this project and reporting our progress.

Take care and have a great weekend!

Hotrodtractor

Reaction score
Anyway, as Jeremy indicated, the engine has been dropped off at the machine shop to get things underway. Decked, Fire-Ringed, Machined Pistons, Ported Heads, Twin Turbos, Dry Sump, and a couple other top-secret goodies that should make for an interesting setup. Still investigating injectors, HPO setups, intercooling options... All sorts of fun stuff. And that's just the engine work. There's a large amount of frame work (relocated engine), body work (roll cage, 5 point harness), suspension work (bags, notched frame, 4-link, narrowed axle), transmission selection (thinking Manual Trans, given the HP we anticipate), and other considerations that needs to be addressed as well.

This makes me happy and is a REAL good start to doing what I think it will take.

Good luck with the surgery and recovery!

kyle43335

In the Brig (Banned)
Reaction score
That's about where we were on this. I drove the truck almost a year with the gaskets leaking. Fortunately, I was blowing compression into the cooling system and not actually passing coolant into the oil or cylinders. Yeah, not bright, but I knew I was going to be tearing it completely down so I really didn't care.

Anyway....

I apologize for the lack of movement on this. We spent the last couple weeks getting our manufacturing and shop spaces organized and had a number of things to get cleared up. This has caused us some regrettable delay on the project, although we are finally moving forward. :D

Unfortunately, I already know that we are not going to be making our deadline. I am going in for surgery tomorrow for a torn rotator cuff and will be physically out of commission for at least several weeks. :p We're hoping that once the engine is back together and in frame, we can start massaging the frame and body as needed. The rest should be pretty straightforward.

I appreciate everyone's interest and sincerely apologize for the delay. We are all excited to move forward with this project and reporting our progress.

Take care and have a great weekend!

I honestly think you should re think the manual thought. So much energy is lost threw the shifting process, that i think you would regret it in the long run. maybe a lenco? or something air shifted?

JGman141

Reaction score
I honestly think you should re think the manual thought. So much energy is lost threw the shifting process, that i think you would regret it in the long run. maybe a lenco? or something air shifted?

^^ this For what you want to do with your truck a lenco would be perfect, I run one on my drag car and it really puts the power down.

Power Hungry

Reaction score
I completely understand the benefits of running an automatic trans in regards to drag racing, but considering that the bulk of my intended usage will be high speed road race and drift exhibition, a manual transmission would be much better suited for my needs. If I should decide to switch things down the road and make the truck a dedicated drag racer, then a Lenco would be my first (and probably only) choice. I'm honestly thinking that with the power we anticipate putting down, we'll end up running a Ford/SAE2 bellhousing and then sticking a Spicer ESO66-7B 7-Speed trans behind it. With a 4.43:1 2nd gear through 0.74:1 7th gear (effectively a 6 speed) coupled with a 3.08:1 Strange rear-end and average height tires (662 Rev/Mile), I'm looking at a top speed of roughly 140 MPH at 3500 RPM. For the race class I'm looking to compete in, that is ideal. Of course with the torque we're anticipating, I could run a 2.73 gear and push the top end to 160 MPH and still have outstanding acceleration characteristics through the gears due to the wide ratio gear set in the trans. Of course, there's always the torque capacity to contend with and that particular trans is somewhat lacking, but I'm hoping to find something adequate.

As to the engine relocation, I'm not so concerned in regards to "back" as I am "down". With the induction configuration we're putting together, I'm hoping to drop the engine about 3" in the frame so that I can fit everything under the hood and the cowl. Depending on the transmission we settle on, we may move the engine back in order to get the shifter in a comfortable location without having to resort to complicated linkage setups, but that still hasn't been determined. If it becomes necessary, we'll just box out the firewall at that point.

Anyway, it's going to be interesting for sure. :D

Last edited:

Power Hungry

Reaction score
With the dry sump setup, we have a fair bit of room to play with in both directions. ;) Plus, radiator, oil cooler, and trans cooler are relocating to the bed.

Latest posts

Members online

No members online now.