Finally killed the head gaskets...

Reaction score
Heads are finally done! I'll get some pics posted on Monday. Going to pull the motor this week, it's very unhappy at the moment. Going to throw in a new set of 190/100s and an AFE torque converter.

Reaction score
It's ironic that I logged on here to start a thread asking what converter is recommended since I have my engine out for studs and want to do converter while its easy to get to. I see you're using an AFE. They have impressive advertising and pictures, but I wonder if anyone has real world experiences with them? Sorry to highjack your thread but any info would be much appreciated.

Also looking forward to your pics on Monday!

Reaction score
It's ironic that I logged on here to start a thread asking what converter is recommended since I have my engine out for studs and want to do converter while its easy to get to. I see you're using an AFE. They have impressive advertising and pictures, but I wonder if anyone has real world experiences with them? Sorry to highjack your thread but any info would be much appreciated.

Also looking forward to your pics on Monday!

I don't know much about them either other than it's supposed to be good for 1000hp and has a lifetime warranty. I've already blown up 2 converters in it, limping around on a worn out stocker right now haha. Give me a month and I'll know if it's good or not.

golfer

Reaction score
..that surface finish looks super coarse.

Did the machinist know you are (assuming you are?) using MLS gaskets?

mulit layer stainless gaskets call for an Ra value of 30 or finer...your finish looks to be in the 50-60+ range..perfect for a graphite composite gasket.

Reaction score
..that surface finish looks super coarse.

Did the machinist know you are (assuming you are?) using MLS gaskets?

mulit layer stainless gaskets call for an Ra value of 30 or finer...your finish looks to be in the 50-60+ range..perfect for a graphite composite gasket.

It still has one more round of finishing to go.

Reaction score
ok...just saw the (.041?) wire grooves already cut...which typically happen after final machining/surfacing to get the depth correct.

Normally that's the route we would have taken. However, with the new tooling for the o ringing we didn't want to take the chance of damaging the final finish until we had a chance to try it. Probably being over cautious but it helps me sleep at night LOL.

mikah215

Reaction score
All that power held up on stock head bolts for a little while? Cause I need injectors but don't have studs would I be safe with 190/75 until I got studs?

03 f250 6.0 Sct with innovative tunes 5in exhaust coolant filter blue spring 6in lift 20x14 on 37s

mikah215

Reaction score
Thank you!

03 f250 6.0 Sct with innovative tunes 5in exhaust coolant filter blue spring 6in lift 20x14 on 37s

Reaction score
Made some progress today...
10689660_764626573584772_9154671797890207316_n.jpg

That cam gear took some work but I finally got it.

Reaction score
Found this too.....

Since I've owned the truck I've never had the intake off. Truck was lemon lawed before I bought it, so I can only imagine it got a treatment from a dealer tech somewhere...

Reaction score
Got it back together this morning. Between the cam and porting it made this truck run completely different. Completely clean at WOT. Turbo spools way quicker. 2X4 3 psi launch burns the tires off for all of 2nd gear and 90 gets there in a hurry. Going on the dyno Saturday for some solid numbers.

swinky

Reaction score
Got it back together this morning. Between the cam and porting it made this truck run completely different. Completely clean at WOT. Turbo spools way quicker. 2X4 3 psi launch burns the tires off for all of 2nd gear and 90 gets there in a hurry. Going on the dyno Saturday for some solid numbers.
Track times.

Reaction score
Got some new tuning from Innovative today, and damn does it run hard! Its flat out scary to drive in the rain. 1/4 throttle at 50 will break the tires loose when its wet.

Just for the hell of it I had the old heads checked out. When I tore it down the gaskets didn't have any obvious blow outs but the heads are cracked pretty bad. There's some pretty big cracks between the valve seats on all cylinders.

Latest posts

Members online

No members online now.