Fire Ring Hot Re-torque

Pwnm30rdi3

Reaction score
Hey Guys!

I just got around to finally dropping in my freshly rebuilt 7.3.
I currently do not have the radiator support and fenders on my truck, I figured leaving them off would give me more room to do the hot re-torque.

I have a few questions before tackling this job!

1.) Is it safe to run the motor to operating temp without water/ radiator hooked up? I have an IR Temp Gun.
2.) When performing the hot re-torque, I start in the center of the head and work my way out, correct?

I've also heard of some people filling the block with water and then leaving the block heater on throughout the night in order to heat up the engine for a fire ring hot re-torque. What are your thoughts on this?

Thanks guys,

Andrew

Last edited:

golfer

Reaction score
you're welcome to contact me, and I'll transfer you to our engine department for recommendations.

866-595-8724 ext 2 then 1..

powerstrokenstang

Reaction score
Kind of a derail but i still dont understand why 7.3 guys are the only ones to do this. I always have but all my tractor and cummins buddys dont. Anyone have a good answer?
As to ? 2 yes start at center and go out.
I am also interested in ? 1. Just how hot is a hot retorque?

rascal

Reaction score
Kind of a derail but i still dont understand why 7.3 guys are the only ones to do this. I always have but all my tractor and cummins buddys dont. Anyone have a good answer?
As to ? 2 yes start at center and go out.
I am also interested in ? 1. Just how hot is a hot retorque?

I've a Cummins get a hot re-torque after sitting overnight with the block heater plugged in.

In this months Diesel Power they are building an awesome 7.3 and planning on doing a HOT re-torque after running it on an engine dyno from what it sounds like.

907DAVE

Reaction score
Do Cummins guys use fire rings, or just the standard o-rings?

lorendiesel6.4

Reaction score
Do Cummins guys use fire rings, or just the standard o-rings?

Depends on the application. O-rings in the head work best for daily driving and fire rings in the block often are found in high hp. As for hot retorque on my last Cummins I did it every three or so competition events.

Latest posts

Members online