First post. 99 F350 fuel issue

Coldiron

Reaction score
So my father-in-law borrowed my truck and on his way back he said it was driving fine and then all of a sudden it was like he hit a wall and the truck would lose power and not go above 60 miles an hour and would only do 35 up the hills. Said it would miss and shake just terrible. I told him to replace a fuel filter and he said it helped for a little bit and then the problem came back. We took it to a mechanic he scanned it and said the IDM was bad. I bought a new IDM put it in and still had the same problem. Got to thinking then figured maybe there was another fuel filter in the tank. Drop the tank this evening and this is what I found.
78e1163693d888c3a47f6bddc457796f.jpg

Sent from my E6810 using Tapatalk

Coldiron

Reaction score
I am hoping that that is my only problem. Wish I had a known before I spent the money on a new IDM.

golfer

Reaction score
is this a 'cab and chassis' truck? ie...no pickup style bed from the factory?

if so...you need to Google "cab and chassis fuel tank delamination"...

Coldiron

Reaction score
I don't think so. It has a factory style bed on it. But for all I know somebody could have put it on there before I bought it. I bought it with 181,000 and it's got 268,xxx on it now. It has been an awesome truck. Haven't had to do much work to it. It is starting to have problems now though. Figure I'll do the hutch and Harpoon mod as soon as I get to a shop with concrete floor. I was starting out on a trip with it after replacing the IDM and couldn't do 75 down the highway so turned around and dropped the tank last night. When I get to Wisconsin I will get the right stuff to do the tank mods. The foot had fallen off so I put it back on but when I do the mod I'll have to get a hose clamp on it.

Arisley

Reaction score
is this a 'cab and chassis' truck? ie...no pickup style bed from the factory?

if so...you need to Google "cab and chassis fuel tank delamination"...

OP, is the tank metal or plastic. If it is metal, it is a Cab and Chassis truck that somebody put a bed on. The pickups all had plastic tanks.

Coldiron

Reaction score
Not familiar with the FRX or regulated return. How do you do those mods? It is a plastic tank.

golfer

Reaction score
Not familiar with the FRX or regulated return. How do you do those mods? It is a plastic tank.

plastic tank is regular pickup (not C&C)...

you just got a lot of chit in the tank!

clean that crap out...disconnect evvvvery fuel line connection and use compressed air to blow them out...including the ones at the fuel filter housing (particularly ones from FF housing to cyl heads).

once your fuel quality is good...check pressure.

golfer

Reaction score
Gotcha.
I wasn't sure if it was a sd thing or "all." Lol

Sent from my SAMSUNG-SM-G935A using Tapatalk

no worries, just busting yer balls

yeah...OBS trucks were no problemo...Ford abso-effing-lutely ***ked the rear C&C fuel tanks on the 99+ trucks...

Latest posts

Members online