First start up after 1 year.

Fordcowboy

Reaction score
My truck has been sitting for almost exactly one year. Now I am going to get it up and running, and I am concerned about that first start up. Wondering what kind of suggestions you guys have. I dont remember exactly how much fuel was left in the tank. I am figuring I will have some sediment, but not sure if I should be concerned about algae. Should I drop the tank, or just top it off? Next concern is lubrication. Everything has obviously drained down pretty well. I am going to make sure the HPOP and rails are full, what else should i be looking at? Should I be concerned about piston rings etc?

Sent from my SPH-D710 using Tapatalk 2

CSIPSD

Reaction score
Pour some fuel aditive in the tank, turn it over and start...

Its a damn diesel truck, its not special.

ONLY thing I would worry about is the fuel, add some water remover in and go to town. Change the oil once its been warmed up/driven for a bit.

Arisley

Reaction score
Pour some fuel aditive in the tank, turn it over and start...

Its a damn diesel truck, its not special.

ONLY thing I would worry about is the fuel, add some water remover in and go to town. Change the oil once its been warmed up/driven for a bit.

:whs:

And charge the batteries.

Fordcowboy

Reaction score
Thanks guys. I figured I was being over cautious. All my other vehicles sit for extended periods of time and I never give it a second thought.

I think in 10 days it will be 1 year....so almost exactly, damnit. Lol.

Sent from my SPH-D710 using Tapatalk 2

CSIPSD

Reaction score
In ten days you can say exactly...

Or you can say almost...

There is no such thing as almost exactly...

TyCorr

Reaction score
The cylinders probably still have oilfilm on them anyway....

Joe-how long can diesel sit? My 00 has diesel in it from last october, but its so boobed up with additive that Im not worried. I dumped a whole bottle of stanadyne in there.

Dzchey21

Reaction score
Fuel really shouldnt sit a year without being treated. Bafteria grows in it over time thats what gives you that black crap in your fuel filters.

Sent from my SCH-I545 using Tapatalk 2

CSIPSD

Reaction score
The cylinders probably still have oilfilm on them anyway....

Joe-how long can diesel sit? My 00 has diesel in it from last october, but its so boobed up with additive that Im not worried. I dumped a whole bottle of stanadyne in there.

Fuel really shouldnt sit a year without being treated. Bafteria grows in it over time thats what gives you that black crap in your fuel filters.

Sent from my SCH-I545 using Tapatalk 2

Yup... about a year, maybe 18 months. After that its fine for tractors and such, but I would not run it in anything that has high fuel requirements.

TyCorr

Reaction score
Well, i dumped stanadyne in it when I fueled. Last fall dumped the remainder of the bottle in. Probably need to burn the rest of that up and put some clean #2 in. Ive got two stage filtration now so I shouldn probably give as much of a crap as I do.

Magnum PD

Reaction score
Mine has been in a shop for several years, God only knows what I'm gonna get into. Seals, brake booster, rust, electrical, and on and on..

Latest posts

Members online