Fix it or cut my losses?

jspaulding37918

Reaction score
My 08 f350 needs a new engine. I bought the truck in September and financed 16000. In october the turbos failed and it's been downhill from there. Replaced the turbos with a used set $750. replaced front cover $700. deleted egr and cat $450. bought a used tuner that didn't work $700. bought another brand new tuner with gearhead tunes $750. replaced the crank sensor and fuel rail pressure sensors $200. burned up 3 starters $250. all the time I've spent under the hood of the truck trying to fix it instead of spending time with my family $uncalculable.

after all the parts/time I threw at the truck I was never able to get it to run so I towed it to a mechanic who sat on it for 3 weeks without touching it, he finally got started on it yesterday. I thought a couple teeth got tore off the flywheels so he pulled the trans/transfer case and started to figure out the problem. The center of the flywheel was completely tore off and the ring of the flywheel was all that was hooked to the torque converter. when he went to try and remove the flywheel bolts, they wouldn't break free so he tried heating them and got nowhere. when he was trying to loosen them he noticed about 1/2" movement side to side on the crankshaft. apparently my engine suffered catastrophic bearing failure and it wasn't caught in time. I've tried contacting the dealer I bought the truck from and they said there is nothing they can/will do for me since I bought the truck in September and it's now May and I signed the paper saying it was "As is".

As you all know, these engines aren't cheap, the best deal I could find so far was for a complete used engine for $9200 and it had 82000 miles on it. What do you guys think I should do? Legally there is nothing I can do toward the car lot since I did sign the as is paper. but I can't afford to keep throwing money at this truck either. as it is I'll not be able to get the money together for about a year and that's saving every last extra penny we have.

I'm sorry for such a long post but I'm at my wits end and wanted to give as much detail as I possibly could. Thanks for reading

Broke4smoke

Reaction score
Fire and theft ??? Not being a dick but that's a lot to deal with! After that never know tranny can go next ..

sootie

Reaction score
damn that sucks man!!

probably a part out is how you will get the most money back.

Brokestroker

Reaction score
Where are you located got a buddy that had a spare motor and sold his 6.4 for a Cummings and is lookin to sell his spare cheap

01pwrstkr

Reaction score
Man that sucks! Hearing stories like this all the time makes me want to sell my truck more and more!

"3 can keep a secret if 2 are dead"

f350guy

Reaction score
the best deal I could find so far was for a complete used engine for $9200 and it had 82000 miles on it.

Unless it has a stack of records with it, no way in hell I would drop that much on a used motor with 82,000 miles. Lack of oil changes on DPF equipped trucks pretty much kills the valve train on these best I can figure out. Cam, lifters, rockers, etc

I would spend a bit more for a full reman motor with studs and pistons before that. $11k more is not chump money, but at least you know all the stuff is new. I could justify that to myself.

Read great things about this place - https://www.midwestdieselauto.com/store/p99/6.4_Midwest_Diesel_Re-manufactured_Engine.html

This is a nice deal, at least it has a new top end and studs - http://powerstrokearmy.com/forums/showthread.php?t=62425

webb06

Reaction score
Used 6.4 engine can be had for WAY less than that. If you want the truck gone I'd throw a used motor in it and sell it.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

drunk on diesel

Reaction score
I'd cut and run or buy a parts truck with a known good engine or something...

6.4's can definitely eat your lunch... I don't like piece-mealing them together with used parts because the rest of the stuff just fails around it like you're experiencing.

I'd want a known-good running pull-out engine to put in it.

The problem is, as these trucks age, those good running pull-outs get harder and harder to find :eek:

My official recommendation would be to just cut and run. Part it out, sell it for a huge loss, etc. Just bail out on the SOB, spend time with your family while you lick your wounds, and get another truck.

Everybody takes a loss now and then. I took a pretty good one earlier this year. Except I threw good money after bad... Haven't fallen into that trap many times in my life, but this one ate into me a good $20k or so...

A very wise friend of mine once old me "the road to poverty is paved with pride"...

That had never really rang true to me until I sat back and considered what all I went through this spring.

Oh well. Live and learn. Life only has one direction... forward.

I've dealt with a bunch of messed up 6.4's... I've put motors in two of them myself...

And I'm telling you if I were in your position, I'd probably just cut and run at this point.

Latest posts

Members online

No members online now.