Fluid vs ATI dampener?

dietoremain

Reaction score
Sooo the debate.. for my buddies 500HP+ truck is which one to get? I've heard good and bad about fluid... and several recommendations for ATI. tell me what ya'll think.

907DAVE

Reaction score
Strait from ATI...

dchart.gif

Note the RPM range.

Lowdown89

Reaction score
I bought a fluidampr for my truck, I have yet to install it tho.. I know on my buddies. 6.7 cummins he installed a fluidampr and I was amazed at thr difference in how smooth it ran afterwards.. I know every truck is different! but it made a difference on his truck and it has been on for over 60k miles now with no problems

psduser1

Reaction score
What application?
On the street, both ATI and fluiddamper are testing above 4800 rpm. If you're not running that high, they're both overkill.
On a race engine, no damper is more responsive, at the expense of crankshaft life.

4.0l sahara

Reaction score
I have read a lot of hate for the fluid damper from the 6.0l guys and other places. A lot of 6.0l guys claim they break lpop gears.

indyF-350psd

Reaction score
how would a fluidampr break lpop gears if its lighter than the stock damper? of course i dont have a 6oh but curious...

Hotrodtractor

Reaction score
how would a fluidampr break lpop gears if its lighter than the stock damper? of course i dont have a 6oh but curious...

A good old tractor pulling friend of mine that builds and dynos lots of pulling tractor engines attempted running Fluidamprs for a while - they kept having main bearing issues that they couldn't cure no matter what they tried.... they swapped back to the ATI style damper and the main bearing problems went away with no real explanation as to why. This was of course several years ago and I don't know all the specifics other than I trusted the source. The 6.0 oil pumps seem to fall on those same lines - I've never hood a good reason as to why, but they seem to have a history of doing just that.

Big Bore

Reaction score
A good old tractor pulling friend of mine that builds and dynos lots of pulling tractor engines attempted running Fluidamprs for a while - they kept having main bearing issues that they couldn't cure no matter what they tried.... they swapped back to the ATI style damper and the main bearing problems went away with no real explanation as to why. This was of course several years ago and I don't know all the specifics other than I trusted the source. The 6.0 oil pumps seem to fall on those same lines - I've never hood a good reason as to why, but they seem to have a history of doing just that.

That really sounds like a harmonic frequency issue.

JDub

Reaction score
WOP preferred the ATI when an SFI unit was required. I ran a stock 220k mile damper on my built motor, just had everything balanced. It seemed to work just fine.

PowerstrokeJunkie

Reaction score
If you look at the first graph, at 4000 (the max that most will see), they are right there with each other. Don't really worry about it until you start spinning 6000 rpm regularly. :shrug:

Hotrodtractor

Reaction score
I don't see what else it could be. Sounds like the fluid in the damper is snake oil.

I can't say what it is exactly because I really don't believe the concept to be snake oil. But evidence in the 6.0 as well as some issues I've been told about in the tractor side of things leads me to the conclusion that I won't build a motor unless it has an ATI on it. That is why my motor had an ATI on it when it got balanced back in early 2007.

TARM

Reaction score
So if a person had a fluid dampener that he got in a trade would it be better to just keep the stock dampener on. I have one and just got done putting in a Melling pump. Was gonna put the fluid dampener on since I had it apart. I guess the question for me is the stock better than the fluid dampener not vs ATI. I am not going to be seeing over 4K as I have not done any valve work past 910 springs on this engine. I sure do not want to start eating up the main bearings or breaking the melling pump gear lobes.

Latest posts

Members online