For Anyone Debating a coolant flush/ adding filter and CAT ELC...

B585Ford

Reaction score
Sorry... All fluid will be removed or dumped on the drive to the shop ;) so replenishing can be any recommended type.

Thanks for the rec

CAT ELC or Evans....Evans is pricey but it pretty much eliminates all possibilities of cavitation, runs at no pressure, and should last the life of your truck.

CT9AIX

Reaction score
CAT ELC or Evans....Evans is pricey but it pretty much eliminates all possibilities of cavitation, runs at no pressure, and should last the life of your truck.

^^^ he nailed it. If your doing a complete flush, you can't go wrong with either of those choices

ncollins64

Reaction score
Not to derail but has anybody ever used the john Deere cool guard 50/50 coolant with conditioner? I never have but have heard of some using it.

Last edited:

CT9AIX

Reaction score
I would assume that JD stuff is prob the same as the cat elc, just different name. I'd be willing to beat it works just as good

grimrippy23

Reaction score
anybody had any luck with flushing with restore or vc-9 helping bring your oil temps down to where they are supposed to be? If I am going 75 down the interstate on a hot day mine will creep on up to 211 with no load. I know this is way to high but I can't really replace an oil cooler at the moment

B585Ford

Reaction score
anybody had any luck with flushing with restore or vc-9 helping bring your oil temps down to where they are supposed to be? If I am going 75 down the interstate on a hot day mine will creep on up to 211 with no load. I know this is way to high but I can't really replace an oil cooler at the moment

I have seen that one go both ways....it has helped and it has hurt by breaking something off and clogging it even more.

grimrippy23

Reaction score
well I'm going to give it a try. If it clogs it up then I am still in the same boat for the most part but hopefully this will work. looking for a miracle here I guess haha

B585Ford

Reaction score
well I'm going to give it a try. If it clogs it up then I am still in the same boat for the most part but hopefully this will work. looking for a miracle here I guess haha

Yeah, 211 when cruising on flat ground is pretty far out of the ordinary. That temp shouldn't hurt anything but as it gets hotter outside or if you get into hills or are towing, those temps will probably get warm pretty quickly. Do you have a coolant filter?

CT9AIX

Reaction score
I can honestly say my ECT and EOT are now 2* cooler than they were before traveling the same roads, same speed, same load, same weather ect.... It appears they both cool down way quicker too. It's almost as if they react quick from going WOT and higher temps to letting off throttle and coasting... The temps def come down faster and seem to be more linear. The ECT used to get hotter quicker, then the EOT would catch up. Then off throttle the ECT would come down faster then the EOT would come down after.... Now it seems they stay a consistent 5* apart at all times. They heat up and cool down together with less variation between the two temps. Don't know if in explaining this correctly, or in a way everyone can understand lol

grimrippy23

Reaction score
No I don't have one yet. That's next investment along with egr delete and got to replace the crappy radiator. I've been planning on getting it just don't get enough hours of work during school year to spend on stuff for my truck with my truck payment. But my last final was today so it will be coming soon! Hopefully I can get all this worked out this Summer.

Dslfumes

Reaction score
Just had my heads done 5wks ago along with a new radiator, new oil cooler and fresh coolant filter. I'm already seeing a 30+ degree temp difference on a drive longer than 25 miles of normal interstate driving. Looks like time for my 4th new oil cooler already. I hate this truck.

SEABEE08FX4

Reaction score
I got this out of a 6.4 we just finished.

20140423_133549_zps3af9d63c.jpg

20140423_133605_zps0f97cc7a.jpg

20140423_134823_zps9eac4e7d.jpg

CT9AIX

Reaction score
I see skid marks! Lol damn Eric, I guess that makes me feel a little bit better about what I found in my filters. Do you know how many miles were on the truck, or how many miles on that coolant itself?

SEABEE08FX4

Reaction score
No coolant in it, he had blown head gaskets and a leaking heater core hose. He just kept it topped off with tap water but never really drove it much at all in a year because he was waiting to get it fixed. But straight tap water is horrible to run in motors. I basically rusted the cooling passages, made a heavy paste like sludge that collected at the bottom of the block and lower hoses. Clogged the oil cooler and most every block cooling passage to the heads.

Took me hours to get it all cleaned out, and we are still flushing the system. Its going to take a few more tries to get it all out. Put a coolant filter kit on it and have already had to change 5 filters in under 1000 miles. I'll be back flushing it next week. I've already ran compressed air through the block when it was dried out to get all the rusty dust and block boogers out. Used VC9 to get a lot of the crud out too.

But the coolant filter kit is doing its job very well, runs cooler and cooler with ever filter change. Haven't cut any filters open yet but saved them all to do so.

Last edited:

alradco

Reaction score
No coolant in it, he had blown head gaskets and a leaking heater core hose. He just kept it topped off with tap water but never really drove it much at all in a year because he was waiting to get it fixed. But straight tap water is horrible to run in motors. I basically rusted the cooling passages, made a heavy paste like sludge that collected at the bottom of the block and lower hoses. Clogged the oil cooler and most every block cooling passage to the heads.

Took me hours to get it all cleaned out, and we are still flushing the system. Its going to take a few more tries to get it all out. Put a coolant filter kit on it and have already had to change 5 filters in under 1000 miles. I'll be back flushing it next week. I've already ran compressed air through the block when it was dried out to get all the rusty dust and block boogers out. Used VC9 to get a lot of the crud out too.

But the coolant filter kit is doing its job very well, runs cooler and cooler with ever filter change. Haven't cut any filters open yet but saved them all to do so.

Would have been nice if he had at least used distilled water, but yah, no tap water ever! Have you tried RMI25 to help clean it up?

CT9AIX

Reaction score
yeah, tap water is def a big no no in any cooling sytem. its kinda weird, right on the bottle of Restore and Restore Plus is says "fill with tap water" in the instructions for flushing. you would figure of all companies, a cooling system cleaning company would make sure to put "distilled water"

Last edited:

tbsimmons

Reaction score
Would have been nice if he had at least used distilled water, but yah, no tap water ever! Have you tried RMI25 to help clean it up?

Be careful making that type of statement.
I agree use distilled with coolant.
The problem is when you use it by itself or with an additive used to run cooler, Water Wetter, etc. Being distilled the molecules are looking for a charge, it gets it from the aluminum and such which is not good. Filtered water works better for things like above because it is not looking for the ion charge. Any water left in an engine will do what you see above doesnt matter what kind.

CT9AIX

Reaction score
got a small update. changed the filter after 500 miles. I expected to see some of the left over loose gunk in it, so I would call this normal for after a flushing. i'll change it again in another 500 and see what that looks like:

1111111_zps4d1c093e.png

2222222_zps036d1cfd.png

444444_zpsb07924b1.png

5555555_zps96565d86.png

SEABEE08FX4

Reaction score

Yeah a big no no fore sure, he didn't realize it would do so much damage. Hard lesson learned. Never tried the RMI25, I'll have to look into it. Does it smell worse than the VC9 ?

yeah, tap water is def a big no no in any cooling sytem. its kinda weird, right on the bottle of Restore and Restore Plus is says "fill with tap water" in the instructions for flushing. you would figure of all companies, a cooling system cleaning company would make sure to put "distilled water"

Well for cleaning / flushing tap water is fine because of the short duration of its use and its only being used to purge the system. You want to make sure you get as much out as you can, block drains and all.

SEABEE08FX4

Reaction score
got a small update. changed the filter after 500 miles. I expected to see some of the left over loose gunk in it, so I would call this normal for after a flushing. i'll change it again in another 500 and see what that looks like:

1111111_zps4d1c093e.png

2222222_zps036d1cfd.png

444444_zpsb07924b1.png

5555555_zps96565d86.png

Looks nasty, what coolant are you using ?

Latest posts

Members online