For Anyone Debating a coolant flush/ adding filter and CAT ELC...

CT9AIX

Reaction score
CAT EC1. I'm seriously debating doing another flush in a few weeks

CT9AIX

Reaction score
Probably not a bad idea, I think when I do my personal one I'm going to try the Evans waterless coolant and see how that does. I've heard it runs hotter though.

I was debating the evans, but the price is right for the cat stuff... free. so I figured i'd give it a shot first. I would imagine after 200k + miles on the heater core and radiator there is some serious sludge crap built up in there so the normal one time flushing is not enough to get everything out. what do you guys use to flush? the ford stuff? only reason I ask is because it was like jerking off 3 monkeys and a mule to get the restore

Dmstrucks02

Reaction score
Just had my heads done 5wks ago along with a new radiator, new oil cooler and fresh coolant filter. I'm already seeing a 30+ degree temp difference on a drive longer than 25 miles of normal interstate driving. Looks like time for my 4th new oil cooler already. I hate this truck.

Miss me yet
erunuvyz.jpg

Sent from my SAMSUNG-SGH-I537 using Tapatalk

Dslfumes

Reaction score
Miss me yet
erunuvyz.jpg

Haha Devin! Nope. I still have a slow 7.3L to play with that never let's me down.

My relationship with my new truck is a lot like my marriage. The truck is sexy as hell, a blast to drive but is one f'ing headache after another.

Sent from my SAMSUNG-SM-N900A using Tapatalk

Dmstrucks02

Reaction score
Haha Devin! Nope. I still have a slow 7.3L to play with that never let's me down.

My relationship with my new truck is a lot like my marriage. The truck is sexy as hell, a blast to drive but is one f'ing headache after another.

Sent from my SAMSUNG-SM-N900A using Tapatalk

Haha I figured you would get a kick out of that. It was the closet one I could find on the net of your old ride
All it and get a 6.7. Sexy+less headaches!

tbsimmons

Reaction score
Pull your thermostats out.
Put some granular dish washing stuff in, Cascade.
Start truck and let it circulate around.
Flush with water and few times after. I just take a heater hose off and hold the hose too it with the radiator drain off.
This tap water is bad thing is a hoax unless your water has a high mineral content, as in you are on a well then you are most likely on a softener or filter.
I have ran tap water in everything and have not had a problem. Hell I still have the stock housing on my 96 Impala. Most of the time it has had straight tap water and water wetter.

CT9AIX

Reaction score
Pull your thermostats out.
Put some granular dish washing stuff in, Cascade.
Start truck and let it circulate around.
Flush with water and few times after. I just take a heater hose off and hold the hose too it with the radiator drain off.
This tap water is bad thing is a hoax unless your water has a high mineral content, as in you are on a well then you are most likely on a softener or filter.
I have ran tap water in everything and have not had a problem. Hell I still have the stock housing on my 96 Impala. Most of the time it has had straight tap water and water wetter.

Really? I don't know the science behind it, I have just been told by a few people to not use tap water, and just assumed it wasn't good based on that. I guess the distilled water was just a comfort thing. Lol

My next flush I do plan on pulling the t-stats and doing a intense flush. A lot of straight water flushing after a few more rounds of restore. It honestly seems like this crap is never ending.

When you say granular dish washer stuff, do you literally mean buying the box of dry washer solution and pouring it straight inthe degas bottle and letting her rip? How much dry granular stuff do you recommend per flushing? How many times should I do this, or is that based simply apon how much crap I see comming out?

Sorry for the 20 questions, just never used the dish washer solution method before

KingRanch6.4

Reaction score
Doing water pump today... Any links out there for flushing process? I'm studying the flow diagram and it's a maze.
Also looking to fabricate a coolant pressurizor/tester with a hand pump and gauge for refilling.
PM if any links are avail.
Thanks guys!

tbsimmons

Reaction score
The last time I used soap was in a car system, much smaller and used about a cup. It was for the Dexcool in GM cars that GM decided to put the tablets in for little leaks. That stuff just clogged everything. Worked pretty well cleaning the system out. I mixed the soap in a bucket first so it was not an abrasive. But I have seen my dad just pour it in radiators and be fine so I doubt it would hurt anything.
Something is make the fluid become a gel and its not sand. Could be the coolants mixing which would do it.
Dont need a pressure pump to fill the system.
Flushing I do just like I said. Take a heater hose off, the drain out of the radiator and the thermostats out and hold a hose to the heater hose to fill the engine with water. Let it flush for a little while. Always had good luck doing it that way.

Last edited:

Leftthenleft

Reaction score
This thread was a huge help. Just got done flushing my system after d3l3t3 and Alradco install. Thanks for the time in it!

Latest posts

Members online

No members online now.