For those with 450 - 500hp...

fastbee

Reaction score
How has your reliability been? I had an '05 CCSB a few years back that lost hg' s at 60k miles. Got that repaired under warranty (with ARP studs) and installed a coolant filter and had a solid truck for 50k more miles. Sold the truck and got a Ram 2500 w/ Cummins 6.7 CTD and 6spd manual. Loved the drive train but hated the truck. I'm looking at getting back into a Super duty. IMO, they are a superior truck with a much better interior but that Cummins was like a tank...I never worried about it having issues. The Ram dynoed 488hp (had EFI Live tuning and a S366 turbo) and I'd like to have similar power out of my Super duty if I can do it and still have a reliable DD. Is that unreasonable? I see loaded out CCSB 4wd Lariats and KR s with higher mileage (160 - 180k) going for $15k in my area while QCSB 4wd Rams that are only SLTs with 200k miles are $17k+! I know studs, delete, and coolant filter along with religious maintenance a keys to keeping a health rig, but I've never really went past a tuner with a 6.0l PSD. I just hate the thought of buying a lesser equipped truck and having to put a trans in it as soon as it's tuned...

ford rules

Reaction score
Most tuned 6.0's are low 400's and there pretty reliable IMO (with all the updates done). Powermax and a small set of injectors should get you where you wanna be so i would say it would be just as reliable as it would on stock air/fuel.

smokedout250

Reaction score
So far so good. Got 5k on my setup with track time. I love the snappy low end of my truck. Trans is going strong I have had 10k over 430hp on this trans and everything has worked awesome!

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

swinky

Reaction score
Imo 430hp 6.0 runs better than a 500hp cummings. Start with a good custom tune from one of the vendors on here and go from there. I'm sure you'll be happy with how far custom tuning for these things has come since your last 6leaker.

ford rules

Reaction score
I kinda feel the same^ every said "built" cummins ive been in felt real slow out of the hole.

fastbee

Reaction score
I was kinda worried about higher mileage 6.0s (based on my own experience) but after seeing literally hundreds for sale within 250 miles of me with more than 150k on the clock (and many had 200k or so) I'm beginning to feel better about it. If I found one with 150k+ miles and no history of hg repairs, would I need to pull the heads when I did studs? I've spoke to a few locals who work on Ford diesels almost exclusively and they seem to be split on the issue. They all say they would pull the intake manifold and clean it as well as replace the oil cooler but two say pull heads and two say no. All have came highly recommended by folks I know and trust and all have goods reputations, any suggestions?

Last edited:
Reaction score
Run it till the gaskets go don't do it unless it needs it . But on the cooler i would say monitor the temps before you pull it all apart.

WV Stud

Reaction score
I will give my input on this,beings I have both.

4 years ago I wanted a diesel and always been a ford guy.Test drove 9 6.0s and not one of them ran as good as my boss's 6.0 did bone stock btw.

I ended up buying a 06 dodge for 23k with 130k miles.I ended up dumping 20k on upgrades and laid down 600hp.I always felt it was reliable,it left me sitting one time when I cracked a injector from running to much pressure.

Well I tore back into it and just got it running about a 2 months ago.I got tired of working on it because I chased a ghost for 4 months,I had everything tore apart.So I was running it tune free after everything was fixed and left for work one morning,and lost rail pressure,white smoke had a bad knock which was a fuel knock.

I pulled it home and it sits in my drive way ready to have the head pulled again.Pretty sure I had a injector hang open.

So the guy that had the really good PS when I was looking to buy a diesel says he would sell his to me.I talked big like I would in a month or so but at the same time figured he wasn't serious.He said I will sell it to you for 16,500..And I told him straight up "really? Your going to sell it that cheap,your dumb".

Long story short I bought the truck Wednesday and I will be honest Cummins vs Powerstroke stock..This PS will eat it all day long..I have all of the service records,everything has been done at the dealer under warranty.

It's stock with 122k miles on it crew cab XLT.I don't know about you guys but I think I got one hell of a deal...I am like the OP tho the Ford is built like a truck should be.I have had VWs built better then my Dodge.

I plan to make this truck as reliable as possible because I am so scared of the stories I have heard.I have no clue about how these motors and gadgets work,but I started in the same boat with the Dodge.

chappy

Reaction score
haven't owned a 6.7 but why would you not get a 6.4? I love my 6.0 but a 6.4 seems like it would be easier to get power you want with just a tune and call it good. 6 leakers are fun if everything is up to par. if its not it could get expensive.

Mixedbreed

Reaction score
i am with Chappy. i stay 6.0 because i want to say i have a nice 6.0

i am running about 530-560 hp and love the truck.

fastbee

Reaction score
The cost of the truck is primarily why I haven't looked at 6.4 trucks much. I'd rather stay around $15 - $16k for the purchase price. I have came across a couple of 6.4s with 200k miles that were pretty reasonable, but have no idea what to expect out of a 6.4. I'm sure they have issues too, but at least I'm familiar with the 6.0.

ford rules

Reaction score
It seams like when a 6.4 has issues its always big money to repair it. Ive never owned one so i really dont know thats just what it seams like. Anyone have any input on that?

NoSlow6.0

Reaction score
I love my 6.0. Drive it to the track beat a supercharged Dodge Charger Hemi by 3-4 car length's and trying not to laugh at the guy looking at my truck with his jaw dropped along with nearly everyone in the crowd's disbelief look on their face. Drive it back home. Priceless! LOL

swinky

Reaction score
It seams like when a 6.4 has issues its always big money to repair it. Ive never owned one so i really dont know thats just what it seams like. Anyone have any input on that?

+1 if you do the work yourself 6.0s are pretty cheap when something goes wrong besides the initial bulletproofing. When 6.4s go they go big! And they just don't sound cool :cool:

JMart

Reaction score
+1 if you do the work yourself 6.0s are pretty cheap when something goes wrong besides the initial bulletproofing. When 6.4s go they go big! And they just don't sound cool :cool:

This.

6.0 is the best sounding diesel out there. I have owned a 7.3 and a 6.4 and now a 6.0. In stock form the 6.0 is the strongest runner of them all. I don't feel I need to tune it, it just runs good the way it is.

weazel

Reaction score
I do love that 6.0 sound, I'm pretty sure my neibors hate me in the winter when it idles in the morning, but I love it

Sent from in a ditch up side down and on fire with the wheels still spinning

fastbee

Reaction score
Ford rules - that seems to be what I'm finding...and apparently it doesn't take much to trash the entire engine! I'd have to agree about the sound...I really loved my straight piped 6.0s sound!

06-sixoh

Reaction score
One of the biggest reasons why i bought a 6.0 is because not one of my friends or members of my family at the time had ONE good thing to say about them. I did my research, found a low mileage build two 06. I have put 45k hard miles on it, and the clock now sits at 86k. I chose to rebuild the trans a few months ago, but i could have gotten away with making minor repairs, and been absolutely fine. I have a few creeper mods, and the basic tuning (custom SCT and FICM), and after the tranny i dyno at 450 with a cracked up pipe.

These 6.0's are super reliable at the power rating you want, IF YOU MOD IT WITH QUALITY GEAR. Remember, maintenance is key with the 6.0's. i would hesitate modding your new 6 liter. BTW, pictures or it didnt happen.

Sent from my iPad using Tapatalk

Sprman

Reaction score
465 hp here and runs great. No issues with reliability and no real plans on going bigger. Truck has 155,000 on the clock and still going.

fastbee

Reaction score
I found a really clean (interior and exterior) 1 owner truck with 173k miles on it. CCSB Lariat, tan leather, dual power heated seats, loaded...only things it doesn't have is sunroof and integrated brake controller. I can get it for $15k. Really thinking about pulling the trigger on it, but I'm in Tennessee and the truck is in Texas, so it's kind of a leap of faith that the dealer is honest. He says his mechanics are familiar with 6.0s and the truck checks out mechanically (they have three 6.0s for sale). I know I could delete it and replace the oil cooler myself and could probably stud it if needed (either cab on or off, have 2 buddies with lifts) for only the cost of parts. What do you guys think?

Latest posts

Members online