For you guys running High HP 7.3's, listen up

Powerstroke Racer

Reaction score
The o.p. I mean david, have you ever heard or seen of anything like this? My point is in the last 20 years, if this COULD happen, what would he odds be that the o.p. is the first guy it ever happened to? Or if it has happened, why is it not widely known

Keep in mind you are asking the only person to have ever blown a 7.3 on little to no fuel :toast:

at the quantities of fuel that it takes to make 700rwhp the quality can cause extremely violent spikes in Cylinder pressure.

Do you know what detonation is and the damage that it can produce?

also are you aware of the truck in question?

Gearhead

Reaction score
I don't see how a cps error could trigger this. If the idm doesn't have a fully synched signal, it won't fire the injectors until the next revolution from what I understand.

CSIPSD

Reaction score
Keep in mind you are asking the only person to have ever blown a 7.3 on little to no fuel :toast:

at the quantities of fuel that it takes to make 700rwhp the quality can cause extremely violent spikes in Cylinder pressure.

David, I hate when you do this...

Its fine when you're doing your God this and God that threads, but lay it out there...

I don't see how a cps error could trigger this. If the idm doesn't have a fully synched signal, it won't fire the injectors until the next revolution from what I understand.

Thats been my understanding. And if it continues to receive a corrupted signal it simply shuts down.

Powerstroke Racer

Reaction score
Joe you hated the way I post long before I posted my belief's on a public forum.

Matt why does a high horsepower engine pop when you hit the rev limiter vs why a stock engine does not pop when the same rev limiter is hit?
What happened in the firing sequence?

Gearhead

Reaction score
Joe you hated the way I post long before I posted my belief's on a public forum.

Matt why does a high horsepower engine pop when you hit the rev limiter vs why a stock engine does not pop when the same rev limiter is hit?

When you say pop do you mean the sound or breaking something? If you mean the sound I would guess it is latent fuel from the previous firing cycle and a very lean burn.

thuglike

Reaction score

I sure am!!!!

I was shocked when Dennis told me.

thuglike

Reaction score
This is the truck in question!!!

Attachments

• rig 1.jpg
    rig 1.jpg
    1 MB · Views: 86

Old OutLaw

Reaction score
and while you're contemplatin' all of the above, consider how old the plug and connectors are ....

I have replaced the connectors on both the CPS, (and the ICP), for just that reason.....

mine was eating CPS's every so often....

and you could actually wiggle the CPS connector while the engine was running, and it would shut down, and set a CPS code....

changed the connector, no more problem

CSIPSD

Reaction score

No, I hate the be coy and toy crap...

I deal with people beating around the bush all day at work.

When the PCM see's a intermittent or corrupt signal from the CPS it more or less shuts down... I don't see how this can cause a large enough issue to blow a head gasket.

Powerstroke Racer

Reaction score
Its not going to be making anymore or less CP then it was before... If it was building 2800 PSI before it will still be making 2800 psi...

A bad/intermittent CPS can not blow a head gasket. Not in my world anyway...

David, I hate when you do this...

Its fine when you're doing your God this and God that threads, but lay it out there...

Thats been my understanding. And if it continues to receive a corrupted signal it simply shuts down.

No, I hate the be coy and toy crap...

I deal with people beating around the bush all day at work.

When the PCM see's a intermittent or corrupt signal from the CPS it more or less shuts down... I don't see how this can cause a large enough issue to blow a head gasket.

You stated the above in yellow as FACT then in red you show that your statement was in fact limited by your understanding or lack of understanding how an internal combustion engine operates.

If the CPS signal was bad and did in fact shut down then more than likely nothing would happen but is was an intermittent problem.

What if the signal got interrupted half way through the injection event of a particular cylinder but not enough to fire the combustion event in that cylinder, what happens to the small amount of fuel that is still in the bowl?
The air is still there as boost did not stop just for that cylinder, piston comes back up with no new fuel being injected and you have compression and full boost, you end up with a very lean condition which can wreak havoc on cylinder pressure.

Do you know how many times per second that piston will come up on a compression stroke at 3000 rpms???

Latest posts

Members online