Ford slave cylinder question

CanadianStroker

Reaction score
I have searched the forums and always look into questions before I post something, but I was reading up on the slave cylinders awhile ago and read that the Ford one were not available anymore?

So I called one of the local dealers near my work and they said they'd be able to get the slave for me, but theres an upgrade kit that I'd have to buy(its all in separate pieces) for this upgraded slave to work? I tired to ask about a pre-bled kit, but no dice.

On a side note, I bought a South Bend SMF clutch kit to replace my(what I believe is the trucks factory) DMF clutch. Would there be anything else recommended to change replace while I do the clutch?

Any help/advice would be much appreciated,
Matt

CanadianStroker

Reaction score
Napa sells a pre bleed master, slave, and line kit.

Hmm, but isn't the slave plastic? as I crawled under the truck and it looks like theres a plastic one on there currently. Wouldn't it be better to have a metal one(I'm assuming it still metal from Ford) over a plastic aftermarket?

CanadianStroker

Reaction score
Not to be rude, but why's that? I'm just seeing it as a lower quality than the Ford part. Has there been lots of success with the napa one? or just the ease of the pre-bled kit?

Just looking to do it once and be reliable. Thank you for your help so far.

psduser1

Reaction score
Not to be rude, but why's that? I'm just seeing it as a lower quality than the Ford part. Has there been lots of success with the napa one? or just the ease of the pre-bled kit?

Just looking to do it once and be reliable. Thank you for your help so far.

One of the chains stores was carrying a complete clutch kit with an aluminum slave cylinder. Maybe advance auto. Been a while since I saw the thread, but it was on this site.

Reaction score
The Ford units are all plastic. The early slaves were a smaller bore. The later (upgrade) ones had a larger bore and since the slave needs to be matched with the master, hence the need to buy everything (the line is different where it connects to the master). I went through 2 cracked slaves on my 94 before I went to the upgraded stuff. Cheers!

CanadianStroker

Reaction score
The Ford units are all plastic. The early slaves were a smaller bore. The later (upgrade) ones had a larger bore and since the slave needs to be matched with the master, hence the need to buy everything (the line is different where it connects to the master). I went through 2 cracked slaves on my 94 before I went to the upgraded stuff. Cheers!

That's interesting, so you got the upgraded stuff through Ford and not through aftermarket?

Reaction score
By "upgraded" I mean that the bore sizes were larger. I had no problems with the plastic slave or master once I got those parts. Back when I was having the problems, there wasn't a lot of parts available in the aftermarket yet. Cheers!

Latest posts

Members online

No members online now.