Ford upgraded rockers

Dzchey21

Reaction score
I doubt it unless international has done so. All of the 6.4 trucks should be out of warranty soon so ford had no need to upgrade anything.

Wayne

Reaction score
Only way one is still under warranty is if the dealer sold an extended warranty beyond 5 years, or someone bought a '10 off of a lot less than 5 years ago. Those would be really rare as they quit production of the 6.4 in July of '10 I believe. They started building the '11's in Feb of '10, so there's even a lot of those completely out of warranty by time, let alone miles. Unless it's a rampant problem, which rockers are not, they probably won't care enough to do anything about it. I know Elite was working on rocker replacements a couple years ago where you just swap out the stock rocker on the factory fulcrum, and away you go. They had it fully designed, and 3d printed, but I haven't heard beyond that. supply and demand I guess.

6.0 Tech

Reaction score
I believe that they have been updated. At least the part number ndicates it.

Rockers are a fairly common issue, we see a ton at the dealer. Seen a few that are coming in under service part warranty now as well since it changed to 2 yr unlimited miles. However, it seems that most if the issues are due to poor maintenance, so as long as you aint too bad with maintenance it should be ok.

Wayne

Reaction score
I stand corrected. Navistar quit production of the 6.4 7/31/09. Even less likely that any 6.4 has any factory warranty at all. Service parts warranty? yeah. That's a thing, but not new vehicle warranty.

6.0 Tech

Reaction score
what cause them to fail ? like just random or lack of maintenance

We tend to see the pivot ball either hammered out, or completely missing. Also seen plenty missing the foot that sits on the bridge. I have heard that momentary sticking of lifters is what causes it due to extra stress placed on the rocker, and possible piston contact causing a chit load of extra pressure. Usually when they hit yhe piston the valve and.piston are fine, you can see a slight imprint on the top of the piston sometimes.

wiseguy

Reaction score
only visible difference in new rockers ford changed the packaging. they used to be just wrapped up and tossed in a box. 3 out of 4 were broken in shipping 1/2 the pieces are lying in the bottom of the box, Now they are packed in foam i haven't had one broken yet. as far as change in rocker they look the same as they have for a while metallurgy may have changed but no visible difference.

Latest posts

Members online