Front axle help

6.0 p-stroke

Reaction score
Ok guys I need some help with my front axle. I decided it was time to do ball joints, I've got everything apart and now I'm thinking I should replace all the seals inside the axle tube, the truck has 250k. Does anyone have a parts breakdown that shows what seals I need with P/Ns? Or does anyone know where I can find an overhaul kit? I don't plan on replacing the carrier bearings or the hub assemblies, just looking for seals, gaskets, ect. The sooner I can get the truck back together the better, thanks in advance!

FrankTheTank

Reaction score
No part numbers but i do know there is a special tool to drive the big vacuum seal on which can be made or bought. Dont try to do it without the tool like i did

91turbogsx

Reaction score
Hub seal - 50491
Dust seal - 50381
Hub bearing seal (yellow oring) - 41784-2

And if you decide you want to do them...

Spindle bearing (small axle stub shaft bearing) - 550759
U joint - 5-806x or SPL55-3x

91turbogsx

Reaction score
And here is the hub seal tool. Lots of people make their own though.

OTC 6695
otc6695.jpg

91turbogsx

Reaction score
Axle seal - 52148

It's listed as a "inner tube seal" or oil seal. Those are a little more involved to install though.

6.0 p-stroke

Reaction score
That's what I've been hearing, I talked to a gear shop this morning about it. I'm not worried about how involved it is, a write-up would be nice, but im comfortable with doing it. I've already got the axle shafts out, I'll probably tear into the diff tomorrow after work, if I can find the seals local. They've never been changed and I figure I might as well take care of it before it becomes a problem.

Tncoalroller88

Reaction score
if u do a google on ball joint install it shows all the steps of putting the seals in and all, i thing there is even a video on youtube that shows it all too by a ford mechanic

6.0 p-stroke

Reaction score
It's cool.
The truck definitely handles better now, I can still feel something in the right front tire, feels like the wheel bearing is shot. I'll probably replace the hubs next and put some bilsteins on in the next month or so, then new toyos. Hopefully after all that I'll be able to put some money into my single cab finally!

Latest posts

Members online

No members online now.