Front axle re-build kit?

JD3020

Reaction score
Front end on my 01 F-450 2wd(axle is identical to D60) is getting wore out. Steering is real sloppy and its wearing the tires. Truck has 286k miles so not a big surprise. Looking to do all 4 ball joints, shocks, and most likely all the steering linkage. Is there a kit out there, or one brand better than the other? Looking to get parts ordered this week.

joe d

Reaction score
I have heard the same in regards to moog also. Quilty control went to shi t is what ive heard.

mandkole

Reaction score
I've had no issues with any of the Moog parts Ive bought, and they were all very available. Quality and durability are two very different things. IMO, they are still a good product line for the purpose intended. No one is building 'forever' replacement parts for 15+ year old trucks.

sootie

Reaction score
Front end on my 01 F-450 2wd(axle is identical to D60) is getting wore out. Steering is real sloppy and its wearing the tires. Truck has 286k miles so not a big surprise. Looking to do all 4 ball joints, shocks, and most likely all the steering linkage. Is there a kit out there, or one brand better than the other? Looking to get parts ordered this week.

after many failed attempts with various brands, i stick with Motorcraft. Post in the Sunrise thread and you may be pleasantly surprised with the pricing.

for shocks go with Fox...

JD3020

Reaction score
What model of Fox's? I have a feeling they will be way more than i want to spend on a F-450. :shrug: Probably need to replace the rears as well.

Do the steering shafts in these trucks get sloppy over time? I've heard of the OBS's having problems with the shaft from the wheel to the box getting wore out and causing some slop. More than likely i'll end up putting a re-built steering box on it as well. Looks like a re-man box from Ford is only $220.

sootie

Reaction score
even the 2.0s will be a far cry better than stock.

wiseguy

Reaction score
dana spicer ball joints motorcraft shocks. What we use lowest warranty rate of any chassis parts i have sold in last 10 years

Northwoods2002

Reaction score
Motorcraft first choice by far for steering suspension.

After working for two different parts stores (part time) while teaching autos at a high school, I've found that Moog has had a severe dip in their quality since they started sourcing from china.

With that said, I'm trying out Mevotech parts on my own personal truck right now to see what kind of longevity and use I can get out of them, being a Canadian-based company probably importing from somewhere... If they wear out fast not a huge loss as its just another demo/job for my students next semester to work on...

Last edited:

Latest posts

Members online