Front Bumper Alignment

BlueWaffle

Reaction score
not sure where else to put this but i noticed that the front bumper does not line up with the wheel well...same on both sides. I checked the mounts and everything and it looks like it's exactly how it's supposed to. I looked back at pictures from my other 05 and noticed the same thing so I'm guessing it's supposed to look this way? amiright?

f04cc954-17bb-46cb-882b-46af0a0e5c29_zpsc089df83.jpg

dzldoctor

Reaction score
Or if the cab was ever off they didnt get the cab back to center compared to the bumper?

RedSmokey

Reaction score
They are all like that. If I remember right, I think Budro a few years back made some modification to make it line up right... Ill search around and see if I can find the old thread/info

Edit: Found it, most pics are broken links now though. Also looks like Unbroken did the same thing too

whatabudro said:
Mine was off way more than factory tolerances. It was not off more from one side to the other. JW this portion of the frame only holds the bumper and is regularly cut by body shops after front end collisions. I also have a problem with the upper cover flaring out wider than the fenders. I'm making a bracket for each side today that will solve that problem.
I failed to get a before picture of mine bit it looked liked this. If you click on the second picture, then again in new window you'll get a full screen view of dieselgeek's truck. This is a good example of the problem.

0501080709_1_.JPG

As I said before I cut 1.5"s off the frame, relocated and welded the bumper brackets and drilled 3 new holes per side for the tow hooks. The only clearance issue is the fog light to power steering cooler. It's tight but fits.

Here's after the cut. Notice the flatter looking front facia with the bumper pulled back.

IMG_1041.jpg

IMG_1042.jpg

IMG_1043.jpg

I'll post some pictures of the bracket I'm making today once I get it done.

First...yea...it's filthy. I haven't felt like cleaning anything and it rained again this morning so shut up. LOL

OK...started with this:
b1.jpg

Yanked the bumper...obviously.
b2.jpg

Trashed the blocker beam...not like I need it anyway.
b5.jpg

5 minutes with a Sawzall and there's no going back now.
b6.jpg

Separated the bumper mounts from the part of frame I lopped off and added some 1/4" flat bar to stiffen it up.
b7.jpg

Measured about 40 times and welded the mounts back to the frame.
b8.jpg

And that left me with this:
b3.jpg

I definitely like how everything lines up better than before.
b4.jpg

I had to make some new pieces to stiffen up the bumper...the old ones attached to the blocker beam...didn't take pics of those.

Last edited:

6.0 p-stroke

Reaction score
I think it's called the "Budro Mod", you have to cut an inch and a half out of the frame iirc and move the mounting plates back to make the lines match. I know Budro (cooter brown I think is his screen name now) and Rich (unbroken) have both done this.

Edit: Good edit Redsmokey

Last edited:

Twinturbostroker

Reaction score
I think it's called the "Budro Mod", you have to cut an inch and a half out of the frame iirc and move the mounting plates back to make the lines match.....

Man that seems like a lot of hassle.....but then again there is a reason why Budro's and Rich's trucks were/are so clean

budro

Reaction score
Was clean LOL, traded that truck in, probably got stick on port holes by now!

Josh@DirtyDiesels

Reaction score
wow surprised I never saw this. The bumper alignment on these things pisses me off. Might just have to do this on a bored weekend...

Txpsd

Reaction score
I've got a question... What do the 4x4 guys with the 05-07 conversion do that have a shackle mount right where you'd want to cut a section out of the frame? Are we just SOL?