Front Bumper Open Space - Can it be covered?

Pwnm30rdi3

Reaction score
I removed the plastic front license plate bracket on my truck, as I have no use for it in the state of Indiana. Now I am left with a huge and ugly empty hole in my front bumper.

I know there are plenty of mesh options out there, but I'd love to fabricate a solid piece to fit in that space.
Are there any ill effects to fully covering this hole? Diminished airflow in the warmer months?

DieselDog

Reaction score
I removed the plastic front license plate bracket on my truck, as I have no use for it in the state of Indiana. Now I am left with a huge and ugly empty hole in my front bumper.

I know there are plenty of mesh options out there, but I'd love to fabricate a solid piece to fit in that space.
Are there any ill effects to fully covering this hole? Diminished airflow in the warmer months?
Yes it can cause over heating. If you look in that space there is a air deflector that helps scoop the air up in front of all the heat exchangers. You might not see the effect as much as someone that tows all the time. Also if you live in a cooler climate you might not see the effects. Down here in Nevada & Arizona it defently effects ability to cool engine.

Sent from my SAMSUNG-SM-G930A using Tapatalk

Jacob @ No Limit

Reaction score

Indianapolis huh? I'm down around greenwood area.

Pwnm30rdi3

Reaction score
Yes it can cause over heating. If you look in that space there is a air deflector that helps scoop the air up in front of all the heat exchangers. You might not see the effect as much as someone that tows all the time. Also if you live in a cooler climate you might not see the effects. Down here in Nevada & Arizona it defently effects ability to cool engine.

Sent from my SAMSUNG-SM-G930A using Tapatalk

Maybe I will fab something out of aluminum with some vent holes or slits. That way I don't compromise the air flow entirely.
Although I do live in a relatively cool climate compared to the desert!

Indianapolis huh? I'm down around greenwood area.

Sweet!
North side, the Westfield/ Zionsville Area for me!

BK39

Reaction score
In my experience, it made no difference covering it up solid. I put 2 led light bars in there, there was little to no space left. It didn't change anything as far as temps were concerned. Towed like this in Texas heat too.

Pwnm30rdi3

Reaction score
Put a nice big oil cooler in there and make use of that space!

Sounds great for the summer, not so great for the winter! Unless I fabricate a shut-off valve. I am already having troubles getting this thing to operating temp and it is just the beginning of winter.

In my experience, it made no difference covering it up solid. I put 2 led light bars in there, there was little to no space left. It didn't change anything as far as temps were concerned. Towed like this in Texas heat too.

This is good to know. This was the answer I was hoping for!

08Monster

Reaction score
Sounds great for the summer, not so great for the winter! Unless I fabricate a shut-off valve. I am already having troubles getting this thing to operating temp and it is just the beginning of winter.

If you haven't towed with your 6.7 yet, you'll see why you want the oil cooler. Lol mine easily hits 240 EOT not even towing hard. That's with a 26ft Ice Castle at 70mph

Sent from my XT1585 using Tapatalk

Jacob @ No Limit

Reaction score

It's not getting to temp for you? Mine is easily in 5-10 minutes of driving. Maybe you should look into getting new thermostats?

Jacob @ No Limit

Reaction score
If you haven't towed with your 6.7 yet, you'll see why you want the oil cooler. Lol mine easily hits 240 EOT not even towing hard. That's with a 26ft Ice Castle at 70mph

What ambient temps are you hauling in? I've had 30k behind me when it's 90deg out and never got my oil temp to even 220.

08Monster

Reaction score
What ambient temps are you hauling in? I've had 30k behind me when it's 90deg out and never got my oil temp to even 220.
I can do it when it's 75 out. So can 95% of other guys on here. You got a factory freak (good for you!), Or your gauge isn't reading right. Seems like everyone around here gets to 230-240 pretty easy towing.

Pwnm30rdi3

Reaction score

Yuk. 240 EOT is pretty high for light towing.

I haven't had anything to tow since I brought her home two weeks ago! When summer rolls around I will probably have a trailer hooked up weekly.

It's not getting to temp for you? Mine is easily in 5-10 minutes of driving. Maybe you should look into getting new thermostats?

It's been between 20-30 degrees here the last few weeks. We will probably see -20 to -30 degrees in the middle to end of January.

After about 5 minutes I'm at about 100 degrees (coolant), just enough to kick out lukewarm air in the vents.
I feel like it takes about 20+ minutes to reach operating temp of 180 or higher. Which feels normal for a diesel.

I'm considering finding a blanket for the grill to help this thing heat up faster in the winter, which is what I did for my old 7.3. Considering my daily commute is only about 30 minutes at the moment.

08Monster

Reaction score
Yuk. 240 EOT is pretty high for light towing.

I haven't had anything to tow since I brought her home two weeks ago! When summer rolls around I will probably have a trailer hooked up weekly.

It's been between 20-30 degrees here the last few weeks. We will probably see -20 to -30 degrees in the middle to end of January.

After about 5 minutes I'm at about 100 degrees (coolant), just enough to kick out lukewarm air in the vents.
I feel like it takes about 20+ minutes to reach operating temp of 180 or higher. Which feels normal for a diesel.

I'm considering finding a blanket for the grill to help this thing heat up faster in the winter, which is what I did for my old 7.3. Considering my daily commute is only about 30 minutes at the moment.
You'll be.... Surprised when you hook a load to it. These 6.7s like to run HOT. Someone on here was hitting 250+ regularly. It's not bad for these I guess, they aren't like a 7.3.

BK39

Reaction score
I can do it when it's 75 out. So can 95% of other guys on here. You got a factory freak (good for you!), Or your gauge isn't reading right. Seems like everyone around here gets to 230-240 pretty easy towing.

Definitely something different going on between trucks. Mine never got that high. Even pulling our travel trailer, locking out 6th gear. Was your truck bone stock with everything in place seeing those temps? That's the only thing i can think of. Maybe mine missing some stuff, and being tuned may keep temps down or something?

dsmracing1

Reaction score

X2 on this comment, that's pretty normal to see...

08Monster

Reaction score
Definitely something different going on between trucks. Mine never got that high. Even pulling our travel trailer, locking out 6th gear. Was your truck bone stock with everything in place seeing those temps? That's the only thing i can think of. Maybe mine missing some stuff, and being tuned may keep temps down or something?
Nope, she was on a diet.

Profuzz

Reaction score
Pulling toy hauler 43ft 16k most I ever seen 220 eot flat ground

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

Latest posts

Members online