Front drive shaft spinning

Pwrcummins

Reaction score
I took out my locking hubs so there is nothing I can lock to make it a 4wd. My front drive shaft still spins. Is that supposed to happen? I thought with no locking of the hubs and the transfer case free it shouldn't spin. I have a intermittent vibration in the front end if the truck that I feel that it's unsafe to drive. I pulled the drive shaft (front) and it still there but not as bad. The wheel hubs are tight. No moving around. I need some help. Kinda wish I just bought a stock truck.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

webb06

Reaction score
Sounds like the bearing inside the hub that holds the axle is bad. Had a truck last week that the bearing came apart and seized the axle shaft inside the hub causing everything to spin even when 4x4 was disengaged

mustube

Reaction score
Sounds like the spindle bearing. What he said ^^. Pull your hub and look at the bearing on the backside inside the hub and see if anything is left. If it's messed up, also look at your axle shaft to see if it has been worn down. If it has then you need to replace it or it will be sloppy in the new bearing and destroy it too. The small spindle bearing is replaceable separately from the hub bearing and only costs about ten bucks.

Pwrcummins

Reaction score
So with the hubs disengaged the axle shafts should not be spinning

Pwrcummins

Reaction score
The hub bearings have seized or are seizing to the axle shafts. Haven't torn it apart yet to figure how bad it really is. Mud is prolly seizing the two together. Luckily I have one hub under warranty and the other is about to be

Pwrcummins

Reaction score
asa5egyz.jpg

bugazyby.jpg

numynu6e.jpg

uruhu7ah.jpg

mustube

Reaction score
Yeah there's supposed to be a bearing in that last pic but all that's left is the outer race.

Sent from my XT1058 using Tapatalk

Pwrcummins

Reaction score
Well I replaced both hub brand new and the grinding went away. 10 miles down the road it came back just as bad if not worse. The drivers side axle shaft is heating up really hot. The passenger side is not. There are metal dust shavings in the hub locking hole. I do not have my locking hubs in not the driveshaft

mustube

Reaction score
Did you look at your stub shaft? Take a picture and post it. I bet it has a big groove worn in it and it's not riding in the bearing like it should and is hitting the inside of the hub bearing.

Pwrcummins

Reaction score
Stub shaft? Like the very tip of the end of the shaft?

Pwrcummins

Reaction score
My number is 214 872 0485. Txt me anyone. It'll be better than waiting on replys

Pwrcummins

Reaction score
Oh and on top of all that I have low voltage. New alt and a yr old battery. Both sides.

mustube

Reaction score
Here is my old stub shaft. Ruined a spindle bearing in less than 10k. I got a new Spicer shaft on amazon for like 80 bucks.

IMG_20140422_232444754.jpg

Sent from my XT1058 using Tapatalk

Pwrcummins

Reaction score
ry8avesa.jpg

I'm leaking from that outer seal now. Could that be the inner seal gone?

Zmann

Reaction score
yes

check your vent for blockage as well

but if it's the inner seal failed and looks like you have the updated dust seal it could take a lot of fluid to get past the updated seal

Last edited:

Pwrcummins

Reaction score
I have it scheduled to go into the shop next Friday to have that fixed among looking at the axle to see why I keep blowing through hubs

Lassie

Reaction score
You likely lost the spindle bearing in the hub due to contamination. Contamination from a worn out knuckle seal. Probably also ruined your half axle.

Just curious, do you have ESOF? The one good thing about ESOF is that your hub engagement starts having problems, which leads you to a bad knuckle seal....the guys with manual hubs find out their knuckle seal is screwed the way you just did.

Zmann

Reaction score
your new unit bearings had the new needle bearings installed correct ? or did u just replace the 4x4 selector / hubs ? people always call the unit bearings hubs so pardon the questions
uEIPmkBlJFLl0fcH4J9cEANhyQ-xdE-qegwgbdr56h7QexrQbw.jpg

Pwrcummins

Reaction score
I replaced the whole hub. The hole things was shot. So it's sounding like there is gonna be some major $$$ thrown down lol. I may just fix it and sell it and get me a 6.4

Latest posts

Members online