Fuel additives...what's your poison?

08Monster

Reaction score
Also. What Howes additive are you guys running? I've never ran one in my 6.4, mileage sucks ass so might as well try!

CMCx2012

Reaction score
Ill just say here in cold winter, hot summer diesel guzzling midwest our fuel guys as they call them, my dad being one, say that if you find a decent fuel company, you dont need additives.

I second that. That said if you need additives where you fuel up in fair weather, you arent doing yourself (your truck) a single favor by continuing on with this cycle.

Pay to have it tested somewhere. Go to your local dealership that sells powerstrokes and ask them what stations they have had a batch of trashed fuel systems come from. They absolutely know this. Because when a really bad batch of garbage hits the street, they'll get severak trucks at one time and they find out if they all fueled at one place. Then they go there, buy a gal or two, take it back to the shop. Have it tested. Make the fuel station pay for 150k worth of trashed truck parts. As they should.

If you put any additive in and you gain 3mpg, you are running diesel with cetane ratings in the 30s. If dumping additive in makes an audible difference in anything, you are running your truck on very bad, poor quality fuel.

Find clean, 50-60 cetane rated, fuel and you don't need junk additives. Shouldnt even need antigel because any place that sells good fuel treats and tests the fuel with their additive (usually sure-flo) down to a specific temperature.

This post is probably the most definitive as far as this topic is concerned, and I sure learned a lot!

On Long Island, we used to have HESS stations which were tested regularly and recommended by performance and repair diesel shops, as well as the STEAL-erships. As of today, HESS has sold the name and closed, so that is the end of that :(

Last edited:

TyCorr

Reaction score
50-60 cetane????? Never seen anything over 45 in Kentucky. Isn't one reason for running additives to give back lubricity that was lost when it went to ulsd? If that's the cause lubricity could defiantly make an audible difference.

52-55 is optimal. We have crap here in the 30s too.

Last edited:

Powerstroke Man 6.4

Reaction score
So its been a few days with Howes in the tank and second fill up so I bought another bottle and dumped it in.

I have seen a huge boost in power MPG went up and its quieter while PS on the other hand made the truck louder and less MPG.

Oreilys down here carries Stanadyne now so I will be buying it and comparing it to the Howes additive.

Last edited:

TyCorr

Reaction score
My dad gives me bottles of that stuff but i only grab it if im out of the white ps. I only use it when its cold.

co04cobra

Reaction score
Ill just say here in cold winter, hot summer diesel guzzling midwest our fuel guys as they call them, my dad being one, say that if you find a decent fuel company, you dont need additives.

I second that. That said if you need additives where you fuel up in fair weather, you arent doing yourself (your truck) a single favor by continuing on with this cycle.

Pay to have it tested somewhere. Go to your local dealership that sells powerstrokes and ask them what stations they have had a batch of trashed fuel systems come from. They absolutely know this. Because when a really bad batch of garbage hits the street, they'll get severak trucks at one time and they find out if they all fueled at one place. Then they go there, buy a gal or two, take it back to the shop. Have it tested. Make the fuel station pay for 150k worth of trashed truck parts. As they should.

If you put any additive in and you gain 3mpg, you are running diesel with cetane ratings in the 30s. If dumping additive in makes an audible difference in anything, you are running your truck on very bad, poor quality fuel.

Find clean, 50-60 cetane rated, fuel and you don't need junk additives. Shouldnt even need antigel because any place that sells good fuel treats and tests the fuel with their additive (usually sure-flo) down to a specific temperature.

You guys all act like you have gas stations on every corner and they all sell diesel.....must be nice..LOL

I have never seen or heard of 50+ cetane anywhere around the NE?

kingbilly68

Reaction score
You guys talking about the leaking bottles... I got tired of mine leaking in my toolbox too. I now use an old sta-bil bottle. It hasn't leaked on me yet. Also has a handy dandy measuring "cup" made on the top of the bottle. Just an idea for ya.

Sent from my iPad using Tapatalk

TyCorr

Reaction score
No. I don't. I juuuuust happen to have a Fast Stop in my backyard, literally.. well about a 1/4 mile away. They are FS service station division. They sell dieselex gold which is premium diesel. They say you do NOT need anything aa an additive and they are sure to post literature with every season change about whats in it. Whether its sureflo antigel or if they are adding 11% soy oil to it. In IL its gard to get away from 10% ethanol gas or 11% soy diesel just because its subsidized. Ive ran my truck on b100 for the first time in the last couple years. The place my dad works makes it. Mileage goes down but they are about 86 centa a gallon on it. So they run all their stuff on it when it's warm out. Cetanes in the 40s on that stuff.

As far as me and dino go the fs is 50-60 and thete is a shell that sells 100% dino and they are in the 50-52...

I dint want you thinking my world is this perfect all the time lol. Since the adtermarket fuel system went on my truck im not opposed to running bio if its substantially cheaper. The old fuel system i didnt just because it didnt filt r r as well and the seals were seasoned with high and low sulfur diesel. In fact in 08 myvtruck leaked fuel from everywhere gradually as the bio and kack of sulfur hardened and ate all the seals. I finally just replaced everything. My newest injectors havent had snything but straight dinosaur bone juice throw through them.

Latest posts

Members online