fuel filters

OSCS

Reaction score
Those of you running fuel systems like Jakes kit can you tell me how often you guys are changing the 10 and 2 micron filters? its been almost a year since ive had mine installed and im sure they need to be changed at some point..

Josh@DirtyDiesels

Reaction score
I just did mine for the first time since I installed Jake's kit on my truck in January. Noticed fuel pressure was getting closer to 55psi rather than 60psi where I had it set. New filters and right back up to 60psi. Cut the one filter open and that sucker was pretty dirty. Probably about 13-15k miles on it

OSCS

Reaction score
I just did mine for the first time since I installed Jake's kit on my truck in January. Noticed fuel pressure was getting closer to 55psi rather than 60psi where I had it set. New filters and right back up to 60psi. Cut the one filter open and that sucker was pretty dirty. Probably about 13-15k miles on it

The very info I was looking for, thanks

Josh@DirtyDiesels

Reaction score
I think from now on I'm going to do them every other oil change or just whenever I notice any pressure drop

CSIPSD

Reaction score
I do mine about every 10-15k... Your water filter is getting everything plus more then what the factory filter was getting. Your final filter could go longer but...

bigjake0524

Reaction score
We typically go no more than 10k unless you think you are getting bad fuel or using a transfer tank than it may be better to do it sooner.

Josh@DirtyDiesels

Reaction score
We typically go no more than 10k unless you think you are getting bad fuel or using a transfer tank than it may be better to do it sooner.

I agree. Learned this quick. Shortly after 10k I started losing a little fuel pressure so knew they were getting pretty dirty

Southmike

Reaction score
for an after market setup you could always put a restriction gauge on it..
change at your desired interval or sooner if the gauge demands

TyCorr

Reaction score
Good info. I was planning to check the regulator periodically and see where the fuel pressure was at and gauge the change intervals that way. I need to get a fuel pressure gauge in the cab. Aaand some different gauges.

DocBar

Reaction score
I change the fuel bowl filter ~10k miles and the pre-pump filter every 20K miles. No real reason for the 20K mark other than I know it needs to be changed. I've not noticed a drop in fuel pressure, except when I change the pre-pump yesterday and it went to 0 psi. :doh:

I'm running DI's RR kit.

TyCorr

Reaction score
Ahhhh, I dont have one of those...she gone...
20130428_194139_zpscf008a4b.jpg

David N

Reaction score
Mine is inside the frame rails as well.

So is there any advantage of going with a filter with a clear sediment bowl over the regular filters?

TyCorr

Reaction score
You can see what winds up in that bowl whether it may or may not be representative of the whole fuel supply. Then it turns yellow and you cant see **** anyway. I like the petcock on mine.

Josh@DirtyDiesels

Reaction score
You can see what winds up in that bowl whether it may or may not be representative of the whole fuel supply. Then it turns yellow and you cant see **** anyway. I like the petcock on mine.

Call me a newb for asking this but are you supposed to drain that? And if you are, when!? Sorry for the amateur question LOL

TyCorr

Reaction score
You can open it and see if theres water in it. Or you can crack it open to help the pump after you.change filters. Im assuming the filter is an oem part # and may have a water in fuel sensor in it and its just a drain. Probably why Jake-o used it.

Latest posts

Members online