Fuel Heater Setup aftermarket

572ysc

Reaction score
I am currently running an aftermarket filter and pump setup on my 7.3. Two filters on the frame (spin on). I was wondering if it is possible to run from the factory fuel heater wiring via a relay to use aftermarket filter heaters?

Is the factory fuel heater on all the time or on at a certain ambient temp?

Looking at a wiring harness, I should be able to run a relay between the rd and light green wire and the grey and red wire? Correct? This would mean that the pcm would provide the ground and control the circuit like a factory setup. Getting its power from the 30 amp fuse.

Thanks,

Ben

572ysc

Reaction score
Already got that now I live in Michigan where the temps are like 8 degrees for two weeks straight when driving on the highway your filter get kind of cold when their on the frame.

psduser1

Reaction score
Already got that now I live in Michigan where the temps are like 8 degrees for two weeks straight when driving on the highway your filter get kind of cold when their on the frame.

I'm in the same state, never had any troubles down to -15*, ambient.

TyCorr

Reaction score
Im in IL and its not as cold but my filters can be warm when its ten degrees out. They always get warm enough that snow and ice cant form on them.

psduser1

Reaction score
Do you have the filters on the frame?

I do, on three trucks.
You've got to realize that the heads are, under normal operating conditions, going to be 180-200 degress. Thats the coolant temp, and the fuel flows thru a passage right next to the coolant.
I never have ice one the filters, even at below zero temps.

TyCorr

Reaction score
20130428_194139_zpscf008a4b.jpg

To clarify: mine and his^ are under our trucks like this and they are slways warmer than freezing.

FrankTheTank

Reaction score
I would agree that it isn't needed but to answer your question. The fuel heater is a keyed 12v that is always on. Uses the same fuse / power that feeds the PCM

Latest posts

Members online