Fuel Line Repair

bigcountrysg

Reaction score
Ok so you got a leak at your fuel filter housing. The rubber o-ring that is on it is destroyed and you are leaking fuel.

You can do a couple things.

1. New fuel line from Ford for 150 dollars.

2. Try and find Parker 60vlv-4 rubber sleeve sleeve good for 400 psi

3. Go to the auto parts store. Get some 1/4 inch steel brake line. Get a brass fitting 1/8 inch NPT to 1/4 inch flare. Then make your own fuel line for less then then 20 bucks.

I did number 3 and it does not leak and it works great. Just becareful to not install the fitting into the filter housing to far. If you do it will crack the housing where the fitting goes and it will leak. I found this out. But I had an extra filter housing so I swapped it out and now I have no fuel leak.

Also you can cut the original fuel line coming off the filter housing with a tubing cutter. You can then use high pressure fuel line with double hose clamps on each end of the line. You cut the ford fitting off you install a flare fitting on the fuel line and then you replace the fitting on the filter housing with a 1/8 NPT to 1/4 inch flare fitting. It too will not leak and it will get you back on the road quicker and you can use it til you can do the complete fuel line replacement.

You can also do this with the bigger one on the driverside of the fuel filter housing. But you will have to use bigger fittings.

The only one I have not figured out yet is the one at the top on the driverside of the housing.

bigcountrysg

Reaction score
Because you have to order the sleeves. Everything I used is easily obtained with no ordering from your local parts store. Plus the parker sleeves are not cheap they average 4 dollars a piece. Plus they wear out and start leaking. Flared fittings can be loosened and tightened over and over and there is no rubber sleeve to be destroyed.

I tried for 2 days to find the parker sleeves locally. No one had them in stock all had to be ordered.

My truck is my daily and only driver I have. I do not have the ability to have it down waiting on parts to be delivered.

This also let's others know there are options out there. Also there is only 3 bends in the line that have to be made. In the line that goes to the back of the passenger side. There is about 4 to 5 for the driverside fuel line.

Oh and if your stock fuel lines are useable, then no need to replace the whole line. Just need to cut and install the flare fittings.

TARM

Reaction score
If you are bending fuel or brake pipe do you not also need a bender to do it correctly? That would need to be added into the price as well as that it not the kind of tool everyone has laying around.

You could go to napa or a hydrualic store and get a small piece of push lok hose and the fittings and be done with it even cheaper I bet and no bending.

bigcountrysg

Reaction score
If you are bending fuel or brake pipe do you not also need a bender to do it correctly? That would need to be added into the price as well as that it not the kind of tool everyone has laying around.

You could go to napa or a hydrualic store and get a small piece of push lok hose and the fittings and be done with it even cheaper I bet and no bending.

I must be the only person that feels a tubing bender is a must in tool box. Push lock hose, hmmm not at my two local napa stores.

And actually no you do not need a tubing bender any good solid round surface can work for a tubing bender.

Justin@DP-Tuner

Reaction score
You can loan a tubing bender from any auto parts store. All you do is put down a deposit and get the money back when you bring the tool back.

907DAVE

Reaction score
So it was the square o-ring in the "Vibra-loc" fitting that was leaking?

Arisley

Reaction score
I have repaired fuel lines with compression fittings from home depot. I keep brake line and compression fittings on had for fuel line repairs.

You can also use fuel line to make you own vibralock o-rings. Just cut a thin slice of fuel line.

TyCorr

Reaction score
I did this repair two years ago. My Napa didnt have push lok. I used fittings and 1/4" coated steel line. I tried using hp fuel line and clamps. No.dice! It was about.5° out and the rubber wouldnt seal. I even tried it again by soaking.the rubber in hot water and heating the work with a heat gun. Reassembled and turned the key, sprayed diesel all over the wall of my shop. Fittings and hardline were the only solution that worked for me. They arent dependent on weather either. I replaced.the uppermost fitting on the dr side.

@ the op, I completely agree with the option you chose. But Ive also been there and know when you need to get back on the road ordering shti like this is a waste of time. Plus.there is a 50% chance the parts monkey will order the right stuff.

TyCorr

Reaction score
I have repaired fuel lines with compression fittings from home depot. I keep brake line and compression fittings on had for fuel line repairs.

You can also use fuel line to make you own vibralock o-rings. Just cut a thin slice of fuel line.

Ill.keep this.advice in mind. I just flat out didnt know you.could do that to make an oring.

Cat_rebel

Reaction score

Took your advice & did that on the neighbor's truck almost 2 years ago. Ain't leaked since.

truestory.jpg

Arisley

Reaction score
Ill.keep this.advice in mind. I just flat out didnt know you.could do that to make an oring.

I had some viralock o-rings, but they were the wrong size. I was looking at them and thought: "Self, that looks just like a really, really short piece of fuel hose. I have some hose the right size, and a sharp knife." Been on my truck now for over three years. There is also a couple hunks of fuel line of different sizes in my glove box right beside my spare CPS.

My glove box is getting full of just in case parts. No room for gloves, glad I live in Texas. Gloves are for work, not to keep your hands warm.

TyCorr

Reaction score
I had some viralock o-rings, but they were the wrong size. I was looking at them and thought: "Self, that looks just like a really, really short piece of fuel hose. I have some hose the right size, and a sharp knife." Been on my truck now for over three years. There is also a couple hunks of fuel line of different sizes in my glove box right beside my spare CPS.

My glove box is getting full of just in case parts. No room for gloves, glad I live in Texas. Gloves are for work, not to keep your hands warm.

Yea, you need gloves to.keep.metal stuff from burning your hands.

Latest posts

Members online